Author Topic: What happened to Charlotte Warlow ?  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Charlotte Warlow ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 May 15 15:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for putting the two signatures on for me groom, very kind of you. Looking at them so close they are very alike but as you have said, why spell the surname Waller? The only reason I can think of is the register is usually filled in before the wedding apart from every ones signatures.So if there had been a mistake perhaps Charlotte not wanting  to make a fuss, as you have said earlier she just copied the name the vicar had written.
I remember at my own wedding when signing the register, they had mixed up my father's first and second names but I didn't say anything.
I have checked the BMD  Lancashire for her 3 children's births as sometimes the mother's maiden name is mentioned, but not in this case. It states the register is at the Manchester Central Library Archive does anyone know if they would look for me or will I have to pay?  ???

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 May 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen,

You can contact Manchester Central Library from their web site or ring 0161 234 1983. They will do a simple search for up to 30 mins at a cost of £15.

The alternative is to order one of the children's birth certificates from the General Register Office (GRO).

Alan

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 May 15 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Tall Al. This afternoon I actually found a tree on Ancestry with the Bethell family and there was a copy of Charlotte's son Samuel Bethell's birth certificate and it states mother's maiden name as Waller. :-\
I have searched for a Birth for Charlotte Waller and on the census between 1838-1861 in Bangor and only Charlotte Warlow is coming up no Waller family at all. I can't see me ever getting to the bottom of this. If I send for the other two children's certificates they will probably say the same as Samuel's.
I'm sure the Charlotte JJen found is the right one, perhaps I'll never know for sure.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 May 15 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen,

I wondered if it would be worthwhile sending a message to the Ancestry tree owner to see if they could solve the issue.

Everything points to it being the same person and they may be wrestling with the same problem.

Alan

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,

I have done as you have suggested, so crossing fingers. The only downside is the tree owner hasn't been on Ancestry for over a year according to their profile, so here's hoping for a result.

Thanks again,

Ellen

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 June 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
A BIG THANK You to everyone who helped me find Charlotte Warlow.
I have had a reply today from the Ancestry tree owner and there was a mistake with the spelling of her surname. :-*