Author Topic: Betsy Campbell Duirinish, Skye?  (Read 3293 times)

Offline Vugts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Betsy Campbell Duirinish, Skye?
« on: Sunday 03 May 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for the maiden name (and any other information) regarding my gr gr gr grandmother.

I have very little information to go on. She was married to my gr gr gr grandfather Archibald Campbell. I don't have any marriage information. What details I do have comes from my gr gr grandmother Margaret (Peggy) Campbell's death certificate. Peggy , who was born circa. 1828, married my gr gr grandfather Donald Ferguson on 27/5/1847 in Roag, Isle of Skye. The death certificate does not show Betsy's maiden name. I would really like to know what it is.

There has been suggested by family members that Peggy may ave been born in Lanarkshire but I have no evidence for this.

I would appreciate any help anyone may be able to give on this.

Scott

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Betsy Campbell Duirinish, Skye?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 15 20:37 BST (UK) »
There's a family at Roag, Duirinish in the 1881 census

Donald Ferguson, 64; Margaret, 54; Peter, 28; Archibald, 19; John, 15; Donald; 13; son-in-law William Stewart, 27 and daughter Catherine, 23.

So yes, Peggy was born in Glasgow. If her age is accurate, she would have been born between 3 April 1827 and 2 April 1828, because the 1881 census was taken on 3 April.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
Did Peggy have any siblings who may have married after her or died before her? You may be able to find out their mother's maiden name on their certificates. They will also state if their parents were still alive at that point too.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 May 15 21:19 BST (UK) »
I hoped to find Donald and Margaret in the 1851 census on http://www.freecen.org.uk/ but Murphy's Law struck. 95.5% of Inverness-shire has been transcribed so far. Duirinish is part of the remaining 4.5%.

Couldn't find a convincing candidate in the 1841 census in Glasgow. None of the Margaret Campbells of appropriate age seems to be living with a father named Archibald.

If I were you I'd go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and find the 1871, 1861 and 1851 census for Donald and Peggy. There just might be a sibling or aged relative in the household with them at some point.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 May 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
From another source, I think this might be them in 1851, as transcribed. Everyone showing here as born in Durinish:

Donald Ferguson 34 Subtenant Of 2 Acres b.
Margaret Ferguson 24
James Ferguson 2
Christian Ferguson 74 mother

Address: Greepe 12, Roag

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 May 15 21:32 BST (UK) »
Additional reference here to Glasgow from 1871. Address just showing as Roag on the index I am looking at:

Donald Ferguson 52 Farmer Of 10 Acres b Duirinish
Margaret Ferguson 43 b Glasgow
Peter Ferguson 18
Norman Ferguson 15
Cathrine Ferguson 13
Archibald Ferguson 9
John Ferguson 6
Donald Ferguson 3

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 May 15 21:43 BST (UK) »
Greep must have shrunk a bit since 1871

http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NG2642

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 May 15 23:01 BST (UK) »
Scott,  maybe some connection of the musical Campbell's of Greepe. I think strangers have the place now,

http://www.whfp.com/2013/11/15/fonn-the-life-and-times-of-the-campbells-of-greepe/

Skoosh.

Offline Vugts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 May 15 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for all your help and hard work. This is much more information than I could have possibly hoped for. Despite not getting Betsy's maiden name you've given me a lot of leads to pursue.
In answer to your question Fist, The only information I have regarding Betsy is from Peggy's death certificate which was witnessed by her son Archibald so no evidence of any siblings
I am meeting with another descendent of Betsy and Archibald Campbell in a few weeks. Hopefully, they will be able to help. I will post any new information I gather should there be any.

Thanks once again to all.

Scott