Author Topic: Help with a place name.....Completed  (Read 4672 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a place name.....
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 May 15 04:00 BST (UK) »
It's shown in the maps that are in the following website, just search for Shandrim and you can't miss it:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

(unfortunately the OSI website is currently down, otherwise I would have sent you a direct link to the map location)

It's certainly recognised up to at least 1928, there's a Patrick McLaughlin advertising land for lease there in a newspaper.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a place name.....Completed
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 May 15 14:48 BST (UK) »
I know of the townland Shandrim. It was the association of Duntarsan to it that I wasn't aware of. I asked someone who lives near there and they hadn't heard of Duntarsan  either.

Thank you

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 04:04 BST (UK) »
I know of the townland Shandrim. It was the association of Duntarsan to it that I wasn't aware of. I asked someone who lives near there and they hadn't heard of Duntarsan  either.

Thank you

mab

It is Duntarsan that my previous post and link referred to.

Duntarsan is clearly shown on the maps that accompany Griffith's Valuation on that website, the easiest way to go about finding it is to search for the townland of Shandrim, once you find Shandrim on the maps, you cannot miss Duntarsan. The map search area of the OSI website is still down, otherwise I would provide a direct link.

And it is Duntarsan that my comment about the 1928 newspaper was about.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 10:16 BST (UK) »
Very interesting Gaffy.  I had done a placename search without success for Duntarsan on the GV section of the www.askaboutireland.ie website.  My assumption therefore was that it would not appear on the maps. However I have now followed your instructions and searched for Shandrim.  I then checked the accompanying map and sure enough Duntarsan is clearly mapped.

Thanks for that new bit of knowledge.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
Very interesting Gaffy.  I had done a placename search without success for Duntarsan on the GV section of the www.askaboutireland.ie website.  My assumption therefore was that it would not appear on the maps. However I have now followed your instructions and searched for Shandrim.  I then checked the accompanying map and sure enough Duntarsan is clearly mapped.

Thanks for that new bit of knowledge.

You're welcome, thankfully the OSI maps seem to be working again, for mab, here is the direct link I referred to:

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,637754,938296,5,7

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 14:32 BST (UK) »
Fabulous link Gaffy.

I'm going to send this to the person I know who lives locally. I think her father would enough seeing this as well.

Thank you everyone for all your help...Rootschaters are the best  ;D

Mab

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 18:10 BST (UK) »

I'm going to send this to the person I know who lives locally. I think her father would enough seeing this as well.

You might also want to send them this link to the dúchas.ie website (a great website digitising the folklore of Ireland), to see if it rings any bells:

http://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/4493754/4416654

The website link is specifically to its school's collection, to a charming little piece hand written in Drumfries School in 1938 by an Annie McLaughlin (yes, that surname again, but very common in Co. Donegal) of "Shandrum" called "The Duntarson Ghost", the reference location is given as "Drumfree, Co. Donegal". It includes mention of Minaward (shown as Meenaward on the 19th century OSI map). The schoolteacher was P. E. Ó Dubhthaigh.

If you look at the OSI map link I previously posted and pan northwards from Duntarsan, you will see the placename Drumfree, not far south of a distinctive fork in the road.  If you search for Drumfree, Donegal on a modern map (eg. Bing), you will see it still recognised, just below the same distinctive fork in the road.

BTW, if you search the OSI website for "duntarson", a location called "Duntarson House Drumfries Donegal" comes back, positioned in some fields just south of the placename marked as Duntarson on the 19th century map.  I can find nothing about Duntarson House online though.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 21:45 BST (UK) »
Actually I've seen this link before. Thank you for reminding me.

I took a quick look at it at the time I first came across it but since then I have a lot more information than I did before and it's all beginning to make more sense. The person I was researching is a McLaughlin by the way.

I have been researching all the families that were in the 1901 census for Foffenagh as that is where my great grandmother came from. I'm almost finished and it's been a very interesting exercise. All the interconnections between all the family in the surrounding area was a bit mind boggling so I decided to get organized and get it straight. I also did the same thing for Meenamullaghan (Big Hill) as she married a Bradley from there.

The McLaughlin from Shandrim married a McCarron and their son married a Doherty from Foffenagh. It all makes sense in the end  ;D

mab