Author Topic: Who was the mother of Sean Dolan of Union Street, Waterside?  (Read 6762 times)

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was the mother of Sean Dolan of Union Street, Waterside?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 May 15 02:53 BST (UK) »
Yes aghadowey that's the right Curran family. The head of household, William Curran, was my great great grandfather, and his son William (who is recorded at his parents' address on the 1901 census) was my great grandfather. They lived at 29 Violet Street, Waterside, in 1901, and 22 Dungiven Road, Waterside, in 1911. They were living at 12 Union Street, Waterside, from 1919, until the death of Margaret Curran on January 9th 1943.

Incidentally, I have found the birth of a Michael John Morrison, who was born somewhere in Londonderry on October 6th 1912; his mother's surname was Morrison. I believe this could be Sean Dolan, and that he was the illegitimate son of Edward Curran and Bridget Morrison. However, I'm unable to find the birth registered on GRONI. Also, I haven't as yet been able to find Bridget Morrison and her son on any passenger manifests belonging to ships that were bound for the USA.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 May 15 07:53 BST (UK) »
Yes aghadowey that's the right Curran family. They lived at 29 Upper Violet Street, Waterside, in 1901, and 22 Dungiven Road, Waterside, in 1911. They were living at 12 Union Street, Waterside, from 1919, until the death of Margaret Curran on January 9th 1943.

The numbers in the census are household numbers used by the enumerator, not street numbers. As an example, in the 1911 census there were living on Dungiven Road (no number)-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002854630/

You mentioned earlier that Edward Curran died in 1912- I see that it was the 27th of December 1912 just a few months after Michael John Morrison was born.

Will have a look to see if I can find Bridget Morrison and son travelling to U.S. and then son travelling back to Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 May 15 13:47 BST (UK) »
I tried looking for passenger lists for Bridget and Michael under Curran, Morrison, and Dolan and came up empty. 

To make matters more complicated, I think there is another John D(ennis) Dolan of a similar age around Albany around the same time and with a similar profession of boiler maker, but he was born in New York.  I don't see a likely WWI draft registration card for your John D., but this appears to be the other guy - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K6NT-TK4 

I'm not having much luck pinning down your John D. Dolan in Albany city directories until the 1940's-50's.  I wonder if he/they moved away after the 1920 census and later returned.  It would be helpful to be able to pin down when Bridget died, but I'm not having any luck there either.  I wonder if she's buried with John or elsewhere.

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 May 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
@adhadowey: The street numbers I have given are correct. They are recorded as such in the 'Derry Almanac and Directory' and in other records.

After I sent my last message I actually found Michael John Morrison's birth on the GRONI civil registration website. He is recorded on the site as 'Michael Marrison'. I purchased the record and it states that his forenames were 'Michael John' and that he was born on October 6th 1912 in the infirmary, in Waterside, Derry city. His mother is recorded as Bridget Morrison. No father's name was recorded.

@shelleyesq: I wouldn't have been able to make the deductions that I have without your transcription of John D Dolan's death notice. Thanks again!!!