Author Topic: Imperial Yeomanry or Irish Horse?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline landej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for ancestors since 1966
    • View Profile
Imperial Yeomanry or Irish Horse?
« on: Friday 08 May 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
This photo is of my grandfather's cousin who lied about his age and joined the Imperial Yeomanry in Ireland in 1901. He served in the Boer War in 1902 just before it ended. I believe the Imperial Yeomanry became the North Irish Horse in 1902. My question is - which uniform is this, or were they the same?
Landers (Laois, Dublin, Mayo, Chicago, NZ......), McDowell (NI), Bass (Dublin), Boxall (Sussex), Marchant (London)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Yeomanry or Irish Horse?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 May 15 08:08 BST (UK) »
It is likely to be when he was in the Imperial Yeomanry. If it was later he should he showing his Queen South Africa medal ribbon.

If you have the original photograph a better scan of his shoulder badge may reveal a IY or harp badge.

Ken

Offline landej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for ancestors since 1966
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Yeomanry or Irish Horse?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 May 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't have the original. It is a copy made using an iPad by his 84 year old daughter who lives in South Africa! Its a shame he's not more side-on but I think she did a pretty reasonable job of copying the photo under the circumstances.
Landers (Laois, Dublin, Mayo, Chicago, NZ......), McDowell (NI), Bass (Dublin), Boxall (Sussex), Marchant (London)