Author Topic: Where in the World is John D. Wills?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where in the World is John D. Wills?
« on: Saturday 09 May 15 16:33 BST (UK) »
John David Wills, was born 1854/1855 in New York City, USA.  His parents moved to Irvington, Clinton Township, New Jersey, between 1860 and 1862.  Family tradition says he was a traveler.  He shows up on some passenger lists and criminal records with the occupation of jeweler.  About 1876 he went to Australia.  In Australia he married Mary Ann Wheatley in 1879, and they had four children: Annie Camilla b. 1880, Florence Hilda b. 1882, Charles Winfield b. 1884, and Victor Leonard b. 1896.  The last I found him in Australia was 20 Jan 1906, in the Evening News (Sydney).  During his stay in Australia he was recorded in police and jail records.  The last I have for him is in 1907 on three passenger lists.  One arriving in the UK from Australia, one leaving the UK for New York, and one arriving in New York.  His residence was listed as London and his destination as Irvington. 

Where did he go after that?

His parents and some of his siblings died or were buried in Irvington, New Jersey, so maybe they have obituaries if anyone has access to an Irvington or Newark, NJ newspaper.
father: John Wills, died between 1900 & 1910
mother: Anne Eliza Wills, died 6 Jul 1906
brothers & sister:
Joseph A. Wills, died 26 Nov 1904 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, buried in Irvington,NJ
Thomas W. Wills, died 1949
Eleanor Wills, died between 1940 & 1954
Ruth S. Wills (Mrs. Myron L. Clift), died 20 Feb 1954
George M. Wills, died 28 Nov 1948

Thanks
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where in the World is John D. Wills?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 May 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
Could this be father John in the 1905 New Jersey state census?  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KMWF-NB6  If so, that would narrow down his death date.

Is this father John's burial?  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=128344344

Offline ancestorsnoop

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where in the World is John D. Wills?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 May 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for finding his parents & sister on the 1905 NJ census, I didn't have that.  That is his father's burial, but unfortunately it doesn't have his death or burial date, but it has given me a lot of information about this family.  I sent a letter to the Clinton Cemetery two days ago in hopes it might fill in missing dates and relatives.
Waddoups - Northampton; Greaves/Gleaves- Birmingham; Sutton & Willie - Somerset & Devon; Sweeten/Sweeton - Ireland; Robert McKenzie - Scots Greys; Bradney/Bradley - Shropshire & Stafford; Aaron & Moses Williams - Pontesbury, Shropshire & Abersychan, Monmouth; Barham, Farnes, & Isacke - London; Odense County, Denmark; Gausdal, Oppland, Norway.