Author Topic: Elizabeth CORNELL (1767 - 1834)  (Read 5148 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth CORNELL (1767 - 1834)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 May 15 09:44 BST (UK) »
In the absence of a suitable baptism, I think I'd be looking for a marriage of a Mr Cornell to Elizabeth 1780-1810
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 May 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestion but I’ve already done that. Of the seventeen such marriages in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire, Isle of Ely, and Cambridge City I can confidently discount all but one. Intriguingly, she was Elizabeth TAYLOR the third wife of James CORNELL (1737-1827) of Swaffham Bulbeck. However, I have been unable to establish any family connection between him and John Symonds CORNELL. Their respective ages would suggest that he may have been an uncle but sharing your burial plot with the third wife of your (supposed) uncle when he is buried elsewhere in the same churchyard seems most unlikely. Also, there is an 1828 burial of ‘Elizabeth CORNELL aged 74 years’ in the churchyard that is more probably her.

Currently, I suspect that Elizabeth CORNELL (1767-1834) was an elder spinster sister of John Symonds CORNELL (1773-1856) but have found no evidence of it. Thanks again for your interest.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 May 15 13:37 BST (UK) »
Clearly one of ours Peter, will keep an eye out for her,
Roger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 May 15 08:00 BST (UK) »
Roger,

Thanks. Having exhausted all possibilities I posted here in the hope that somebody else may have stumbled across her but it seems not. Thanks again to all who tried to help.
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 May 15 21:46 BST (UK) »
There is one thing that occurs to me. It is the strong Baptist connection amongst both the Ayres and Cornwell families who make up the bulk of my maternal ancestors. If they were Baptists then there would be no records of infant baptisms, only of adult Baptist rites; if the records have survived. I have the CD of the Baptist chapel from Lode, but from memory it only starts in 1833.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)