Author Topic: John & Susannah Wyborough- children of Mary Wyborough in 1806  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John & Susannah Wyborough- children of Mary Wyborough in 1806
« on: Tuesday 12 May 15 02:41 BST (UK) »
I have a will dated 1806 of a Joseph Wilkin and in it he mentions numerous relations to whom he leaves legacies, which has been wonderful for working out the family!!

But there is one mention that remains elusive to me, so I am hoping someone can help?

He mentions "John and Susannah, the children of Mary Wyborough, my mothers sister'.

I don't know where they live, their ages etc.

Joseph Wilkin's mother was Martha Wilkin, and he was born in Cambridgeshire about 1739, but seems to have spent his adult life in Norfolk.

I don't know Martha's maiden name- she married a Simon Wilkin around 1734 and they had 2 children- Joseph and Simon. Simon the elder appears to have died around 1739 and Martha then remarried to a William Kidman in 1743.

But it would seem from the will, that Martha had a sister Mary who married a Mr Wyborough and had 2 children, so it would seem likely these children were born around the same time as Joseph I would think??? So the 1730's-40's

Can anyone help me find out who Mary Wyborough nee unknown, and her children were and how they fit into my family tree??!!

THanks
Kylie

Offline Olleyke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Margaret Ann & Frederick Marston, Emmeline Pike
    • View Profile
Re: John & Susannah Wyborough- children of Mary Wyborough in 1806
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 June 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Kylie.

Not 100% sure whether this is right or helpful, but via FreeReg, I've found a marriage between a John Wybrough and a Mary Creeke, 03 Oct 1736, St John the Evangelist, Waterbeach in Cambridgeshire.

Currently cannot find any records regarding the Wilkin family.

Kirsty
BLYTH - Norwich, Bradford
BUCK - Horsham St Faiths
DERBYSHIRE - Lancashire, Leeds
EASTO - Bungay, Diss, Fressingfield, Norwich
EDGE - South Creake
HOLMES - Crostwick, Norwich
JACOBS - Norwich, Tasburgh
LANDAMORE - Old Catton
MANN - Aylsham, Norwich
MURRELL - Norwich
OLLEY - Norwich, Fulham, Great Yarmouth, Hammersmith, Skeyton
PAINTER - Wigan
ROWE - Wigan
SAVORY - Flitcham
SMITH - Norwich
STOREY - Skeyton
UNDERWOOD - Lancashire

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 June 15 04:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much! I will have to look up Waterbeach and see if it is nearby  Soham and Burwell where Martha lived before  she  remarried to William Kidman.

Was there  any sign of the 2 children- John and Sussanah's- baptisms?  it would help confirm Mary's husbands name. Although i have not been able to find baptisms of the Wilkin children....

So possibly Martha Creek..

Offline Olleyke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Margaret Ann & Frederick Marston, Emmeline Pike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 June 15 10:51 BST (UK) »
According to google maps, Waterbeach is only 20 minutes from Burwell, so could possibly be her.

As for John and Susannah's baptisms, I thought I had found Susannah's, but I believe she is John's child from a previous marriage, 'daughter of John and Ellen Wybrough', both Ellen and infant Susannah die the same year, 1734, with Ellen listed as Helen.

I have found baptism's of a Mary Wybrough (listed at Wibrough), daughter of John and Mary at Waterbeach, 11 July 1737, and also a Alice, daughter of above, at Waterbeach, 23 Sep 1739, but in the notes section is says 'mother deceased'.

Assuming it is the right family, Mary Wybrough, wife of John was buried 23 Sep 1739 at Waterbeach.

I hope that all makes sense! Still trying to find records regarding the Wilkin family but coming up blanks at the minute. There is a burial of a Joseph Wilkin in 1806 on Ancestry, do you have that? If not .....

BLYTH - Norwich, Bradford
BUCK - Horsham St Faiths
DERBYSHIRE - Lancashire, Leeds
EASTO - Bungay, Diss, Fressingfield, Norwich
EDGE - South Creake
HOLMES - Crostwick, Norwich
JACOBS - Norwich, Tasburgh
LANDAMORE - Old Catton
MANN - Aylsham, Norwich
MURRELL - Norwich
OLLEY - Norwich, Fulham, Great Yarmouth, Hammersmith, Skeyton
PAINTER - Wigan
ROWE - Wigan
SAVORY - Flitcham
SMITH - Norwich
STOREY - Skeyton
UNDERWOOD - Lancashire

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 02:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Olleyke
Thanks for Josephs burial!

Joseph's will dates 1806 mentions his 'cousins' john and Susannah Wyborough in regards to an bequest he leaves them, so I have to assume Susannah was still alive at the time of his death, or at least recently enough that he wasn't aware of her passing when he wrote the will.

So if this is the right family- Mary (sister of Martha) married in 1736 and died in 1739. Her young children must then have been raised by their father (?John) and perhaps another wife? Or did they go to their Aunt Martha?? Its a small window for the children's births, but I guess John and Susannah could have been twins born in 1738 (between Mary in 1737 and Alice in 1739)??

Mary and Alice that you found must I guess have died by 1806 as Joseph doesn't mention them...but that means we are still looking for the baptisms of John Jnr and Susannah.....I can't find them. Nor those of Joseph and Simon Wilkin.....which seems odd....

Either those parish records have been lost or not indexed.....or were the family non-conformists??

Joseph Kinghorn who married Joseph Wilkin was I think a non-conformist minister, but I need to double check that.

What do you think??
Kylie

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 September 15 11:55 BST (UK) »
Joseph Wilkin grave stone at St Mary Duke Street Norwich (Baptist) states died 6 May 1806 age 66

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 02:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Amondg
Have you seen the headstone? I didn't think it would still be there. That age matches the burial Olleyke found, and the date of the will I have for Joseph.

And confirms he must have been born around 1739-40...so either just before or in the months after his father Simon's death. Poor Martha.

I am still struggling to find any evidence of the Wilkin family- baptisms of Simon jnr and Joseph, Marriage of Simon and Martha or confirmation that Mary Creek marrying John Wyborough is indeed Martha's sister.....

Does anyone have any more suggestions please??
I thought perhaps a will for John Wyborough might mention his wife's family and thereby give a clue one way or the other, but can't see any sign of one.....

Kylie

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 05:15 BST (UK) »
No I haven't seen the headstone, my error I should have referenced it.
Norfolk Family History Society, monument transcriptions.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 September 15 06:10 BST (UK) »
The Suffolk Record Office has The Original Will Of John Wibrow the elder of Isleham date 1778
ref: IC500/7/258.
Might be useful