Author Topic: Gable House in Tonbridge  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Stashh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gable House in Tonbridge
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 May 17 18:17 BST (UK) »
noytd: The name "Wilding" clearly appears in the Maria Longueville / Thomas Jones descendants in early 1800s via the first born issue of a grandson, Charles Thomas Jones, (being Charles Willding Jones b.1805 in Liverpool - NB "Willding" rather than "Wilding") ...........but it appears to be, initially at least, by way of "a middle name with a different spelling". No idea why for either. I assume in some way in recognition of Richard Wilding. Do you know how Diana Williams was a niece of Maria Longueville? I assume (i) via her husband, Thomas Jones (not least because Jones and Williams are strong Welsh surnames !? or (ii) a via younger sister? I had assumed Maria was effectively an only surviving adult child..... I know she was the "eldest daughter" (thus indicating at least one other daughter had been born i.e. Maria's sister) but as Maria was the sole heir at the date of death of her father, Sir Thomas Longueville, I had assumed that whilst maybe other sibling(s) had been born they had not lived to adult age but, thinking further, maybe a younger sister had lived to adult age, had married a Williams and had a daughter, hence Diana Williams, niece of Maria Jones (nee Longueville), but was deceased when Sir Thomas Longueville died. Any thoughts?

Offline JLWJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gable House in Tonbridge
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 14:13 BST (UK) »
So Sir Thomas Longueville married Maria-Margaretta Conway. They had 3 daughters - Maria, Conway and Harry.
Harry married Richard Williams, and they had one son and two daughters. The younger daughter was Diana - who married Richard Willding.
Willding was taken as a middle name - I believe in recognition of the inheritance received from that side of the family. Amusingly, my great great grand father's name was Willding Willding-Jones. He was born Willding Jones (Willding being his first name), but decided to go double barrelled in 1891!
Incidentally all the references to Diana (and Richard Willding) have also been Willding with 'two' l's.  Hope this helps, but happy to help further  if I can.