Author Topic: Newborrow  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Newborrow
« on: Friday 15 May 15 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am looking for the parents of a Sarah Newborrow, who married William Gibson in St Mary Magdalene, Bermondsey, in 1744. William was a mariner.

I have been searching online, but the name "Newborrow" seems to be very rare and lacks completely in Surrey at that time. There is, though a Sarah Naybours, born in Whitechapel, just across the river from St Mary Magdalene.
Now I have several names that "shift" over time, some of them quite a lot (eg. Copley-Copeley-Coppeley-Copeland). But Newborrow-Naybours does seem a bit of a stretch...

What is your opinion? Is it plausible that it is the same person? Or not at all? If not, does anyone know where I can find the correct Sarah Newborrow?

Regards,
Tom

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Newborrow
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 May 15 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have found an interesting marriage in Bermondsey St Mary Magdalen, which could be of Sarah's parents

January 6th 1711 by Licence, George NEBORRE of the Parish , widower and a vintner ( wine merchant) and Susanna LADLER, widow of St Johns Wapping.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 May 15 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much! That might help me advance.
Incredible that I didn't see that before...
Tom

Offline Tom Huygens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 10:27 BST (UK) »
Ah, problem solved. Browsing through google, I found per chance someone who is researching the Newbrough family in Philadelphia, US. They mention a Joseph Newbrough who, according to his will, left his estate to his only two daughters in London: Ann Newbrough, spinster, and Sarah Gibson, wife of William Gibson, mariner. He originally was from Staffordshire.

And off we go to a new branch of my family :)