Author Topic: Nicholas Foran  (Read 3116 times)

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nicholas Foran
« on: Saturday 16 May 15 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am looking for information about a Nicholas Foran (born abt 1783, died 1864 in Kilmacthomas). My 3xGreat grandmother Ellen Foley (formerly Foran) emigrated to England with her husband and two children and the only birth i can find for an Ellen Foran in Co. Waterford is 1827 (which is the correct year for each English census she is in). Daughter of Nicholas Foran and Julia Gough baptised in Kilrossanty. The griffiths valuation search for a Nicholas Foran came up with a result in Kilrossanty in 1850 (living at Ballykeroge Big in the parish, paying the most out of everyone else on the page). I was unable to find any other children of Nicholas and Julia, however a search for a Julia Foran death came up with one in 1882 (born 1786) in Kilmacthomas, the same parish as Nicholas so i do believe that they moved to Kilmacthomas from Ballykeroge some time after 1850. Coincidentally there was a bishop of Waterford and Lismore called Nicholas Foran who died in 1855, he was apparently 72 years of age which brings his date of birth to 1783, the same year as my Nicholas. I can only find one baptism of Nicholas Foran in and around that year, the son of Michael, which is probably the bishop's (because newspaper articles mention Michael's death at the house of his son the bishop in 1841). I cant find a baptism for Julia or a marriage. At the time of Ellen's birth she would have been around 40 and Nicholas around 44 so they MUST have either been married to different people before or had other children that haven't been baptised (or transcribed). On Ellen's baptism there is a CATHERINE GOUGH in attendance so she must be a relative.

Sorry for piping on but i wish i could find a solution to this...

Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas Foran
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 May 15 17:38 BST (UK) »
I think you might be jumping to all sorts of conclusions here starting with the baptism you found.

the only birth i can find for an Ellen Foran in Co. Waterford is 1827 (which is the correct year for each English census she is in).
Just because you've found only this one record which is the same name and age as your ancestor does not mean that it is her baptism record. Many early record do not exist and of those that do survive not all are online. Therefore, you are starting off by assuming this could be her thus her parents are...

griffiths valuation search for a Nicholas Foran came up with a result in Kilrossanty in 1850
not everyone owned land and is listed in Griffith's

I was unable to find any other children of Nicholas and Julia
Again, not all baptisms survive

a search for a Julia Foran death came up with one in 1882 (born 1786)
civil registration  of deaths didn't start until 1864 and Julia could have died before 1863

On Ellen's baptism there is a CATHERINE GOUGH in attendance so she must be a relative.
Sponsors did not have to be related although this was often the case
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pendlelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas Foran
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 May 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
I think you might be jumping to all sorts of conclusions here starting with the baptism you found.

the only birth i can find for an Ellen Foran in Co. Waterford is 1827 (which is the correct year for each English census she is in).
Just because you've found only this one record which is the same name and age as your ancestor does not mean that it is her baptism record. Many early record do not exist and of those that do survive not all are online. Therefore, you are starting off by assuming this could be her thus her parents are...

griffiths valuation search for a Nicholas Foran came up with a result in Kilrossanty in 1850
not everyone owned land and is listed in Griffith's

I was unable to find any other children of Nicholas and Julia
Again, not all baptisms survive

a search for a Julia Foran death came up with one in 1882 (born 1786)
civil registration  of deaths didn't start until 1864 and Julia could have died before 1863

On Ellen's baptism there is a CATHERINE GOUGH in attendance so she must be a relative.
Sponsors did not have to be related although this was often the case
Hi aghadowey,
Yes, i thought i was assuming quite a lot there.. i just thought it seemed valid in some respect. I will wait until the parish records are released on July 8th online to research deeper.

Thanks and regards,
Pendlelad
LANCASHIRE-Nutter, Driver, Foley, Taylor, Blanthorn, Parker, Pickles, Grime, Mudd, Broadley, Spencer, Whalley, Harrison, Ellis, Timmins, Duerden, Cornthwaite, Schofield, Wardley, Lord, Scholes
IRELAND-Foley, Timmins, Foran, Farrall, Traynor, Crawley, Ganley, McDermott, Manning
HAMPSHIRE-Wheeler, Gilmore
STAFFS/SHROP-Darn, Spittle
DERB'HIRE-Mason, Trimmer
YORKSHIRE-Perkin (Parkin), Robinson
CORNWALL-Harris, Jane, Bennett
CHESHIRE-Littlemore, Timmins, Blanthorn, Smith
HUNTI'SHRE-Stretton, Bryant