Author Topic: The marriage of Richard Gallagher and Ellen Clarke  (Read 9286 times)

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The marriage of Richard Gallagher and Ellen Clarke
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 00:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kim!!!
Best wishes,
Brendan

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 02:49 BST (UK) »
I now believe that the 'Patrick Clarke', who is mentioned as a godparent at the baptism of a child belonging to Richard Gallagher and Ellen Clarke, was married to Rose Anne Moore. I recently came across an obituary for Richard Gallagher in the Derry Journal, dated to January 19th 1903. It records some of the chief mourners as being nephews called Thomas Clarke and James Clarke, both of Derry. Patrick Clarke and Rose Anne Moore had sons called Thomas and James. I think Rose Anne Clarke died on May 8th 1885, whilst her husband, Patrick Clarke, probably died on February 2nd 1896.
Their sons, Thomas and James, are probably the two individuals that are recorded as residing at 'Frances' Street, Derry city, in the 1901 census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Londonderry_Urban_No__1/Frances_Street/1530839/

Frustratingly, I am unable to find a marriage record for Patrick Clarke and Rose Anne Moore on GRONI. Their first child(?), Thomas, was born in Derry on April 21st 1873, so I assume the marriage took place some time before that date.

I would greatly appreciate any information about this wedding, or about this family in general.
Regards,
Brendan   

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 05:58 BST (UK) »
Brendan, a few more pieces of the puzzle for you.

Marriage:

30 April 1872
Long Tower,co Derry
groom:Patrick Clarke
rel:Roman Catholic
father:Clarke
bride:Rose Anne Moor
rel:Roman Catholic
father:Moor
witnesses:Timothy O'Donnell & Catherine Clarke
Rev. W Elliott officiating

children born to Patrick & Rose Anne Clarke:

Thomas
address: 15 Abbey Street
born:21 April 1873
father:Patrick Clarke
occ:miller
mother:Rose Anne Moore
sponsor:Catherine Clarke

Catherine
address:Creggan Street
born:24 June 1875
sponsor:Rose Ann Clark

William
address:15 Bogside
born:19 August 1877
sponsor:Rose Ann Clark

James
address:Little Diamond Derry
born:13 May 1880
baptised:3 June 1880
*note says father registered birth

Mary Ann
address:Bogside Derry
born:1 May 1882
baptised:15 May 1882
sponsor:Catherine Clarke

all the info on the childrens births stayed the same with each as the 1st one's info.These are the only children I found.Hope this helps,Kim

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 May 15 03:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Kim!!!
It is very good of you to go to so much effort, as regards looking up and sending all this information. I really appreciate it!!!

This particular Patrick Clarke must be the brother of Ellen Gallagher (née Clarke). The fact that his occupation is recorded as 'miller' is the clue. In the obituary of Ellen's husband, Richard Gallagher, there is also mention of other nephews called 'Clarke' at his funeral. They were called Thomas, James, Hugh, and Patrick Clarke, all of the Waterside, Derry city. I know for a fact that they were the sons of Hugh Clarke and Jane Mullarkey. Their father, Hugh Clarke, also had the occupation of 'miller'. This can't be just coincidence!!!

Hugh died at Mill Street, in the Waterside, Derry city, in 1886. My great great great grandfather, Thomas Clarke, also lived and died at the same address. Hugh Clarke is recorded as replacing Thomas at Mill Street in the 'Derry Almanac and Directory' and in the Valuation Revision Books. They must have been related, possibly Thomas was Hugh's father or his uncle, but as yet I have not been able to confirm this. I was unlucky that the civil marriages of Richard Gallagher and Ellen Clarke, and also of Patrick Clarke and Rose Anne Moore, were not registered, as the records would have given me the name of their father.

However, thanks to all the information that you have sent me I still have quite a few more leads to follow!!!

Best wishes,
Brendan   

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 May 15 07:03 BST (UK) »
Brendan, no problem. People have been kind in helping me so I try and help someone else.

Just saying that if Thomas is indeed Hugh's father then I found 6 births for Hugh with father Thomas between 1800-1840. They are;

Hugh 1807 Antrim
Hugh 1814 Down
Hugh Alexander 1825 Antrim
Hugh Rodger 1826 Antrim
Hugh 1831 Antrim

There were none for co Derry which means either he was born outside of co Derry or the records for his birth no longer exist.

As for marriages, I found one with father's name Thomas in co Cavan 1858 but this seems unlikely. The other two for Hugh I found are both in Co Derry, one in 1856 and the other in 1859 neither has father listed as Thomas which means only that Hugh in these records had different dad or father's name is not recorded.
If have anything else let me know and I will look further,Kim

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 May 15 04:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kim!!!
I think my Clarkes were born either in Derry (or possibly some in Sligo). I got information a few years ago from Derry City Cemetery burial register, which has an entry recording the burial of my great great grandmother Anne Morrow (née Clarke) in 1908; it records her place of birth as 'Sligo'. However, in the 1901 census she records her birthplace as 'Co. Derry'. Maybe her father, Thomas Clarke, was actually from Sligo or was living and working there when Anne was born; sometime between 1825-50.

I came across an article in the Derry Journal last night that records the death in 1939 of Catherine Liddy (née Clarke), who I discovered was a sister of Ellen, Patrick, and Hugh (a 'Catherine Clarke' also appears a number of times as a sponsor in the transcriptions that you sent me). Some of the mourners mentioned in her obituary were sons of Ellen and Patrick. It also says that she was "the last of an old Waterside family named Clark" and that the family were Roman Catholic.
Catherine Clarke seems to have married James Liddy in Derry in 1875. If you could look for information regarding this wedding I would be very grateful.

All the best,
Brendan   

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 May 15 08:04 BST (UK) »
Brendan, here it is.

Marriage:

groom:James Leedy
full age
occ:carpenter
res: (cannot read)
father of groom:James Leedy
father of groom's occ:carpenter

bride:Catherine Clarke
full age
occ: (cannot read)
res:Creggan
father of bride:William Clarke
father of bride's occ:labourer
witnesses:Nicholas Gallagher x his mark & (cannot read) Carlin x her mark

*this is on GRONI if you want to look and see if you can make out words I cannot.

A question for you. What site do you go onto to access the Derry Journal and obituaries? When do the obituaries begin? Kim

Offline bmcg66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 May 15 05:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million Kim!!!
That's a great help. Catherine's father, William Clarke, was more than likely the brother of my Thomas Clarke. I'll have to keep looking for records in order to prove this.

I access the Derry Journal via the Findmypast website. They have uploaded just over 8,000 issues of the paper from the year 1825 up until 1950 (there are still a number of large gaps between those years but I'd say those gaps will be filled before the end of 2015). Findmypast gets access to these papers via the British Newspaper Archive (both websites are run by the same company). There are around 412 Irish and British newspapers all together on the sites!!!

There are birth, marriage, and death notices in every edition. The earliest ones were inserted by the wealthier classes, however, by the 1880's and 1890's many working class people were regularly putting notices in the newspaper. Obituaries were mainly for more notable people. If a civil death record for an individual says that an inquest was carried out then this was always reported on in the local newspaper. Also, court cases are reported on, such as Petty Sessions, Quarter Sessions, Assizes, Crown Court cases, etc.
I have found a massive amount of information about my ancestors from all these sources.
If you would like me to search for anything in particular I would be happy to do it. You can private message me the details via Rootschat.

By the way, are you getting your information from Rootsireland.ie?

Best wishes,
Brendan

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 May 15 05:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Brendan, when looking for info I go across the board in terms of where I look-GRONI,PRONI,rootsireland,ancestry,emeraldancestors,county sites,scotlandspeople ,irishgenealogy etc etc. I sometimes come across snippets in the oddest places.I also use the National Library in Dublin for parish registers. Would the Derry Journal obits cover all of county Derry or is it concentrated mostly on Derry city? The people I'm looking for would be mostly from mid county Derry. Regards,Kim