Author Topic: St Clement's Parish Records  (Read 2316 times)

Offline GlitteringPrize

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Clement's Parish Records
« on: Monday 18 May 15 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Would anyone know if St Clement's parish records are available online anywhere? I'm looking for a William Taylor born abt 1815 there, spouse is Sarah Unknown. He was a Stone Mason in the St Clement's area until somewhere between 1851 and 1861 where he moved to London. As far as I can see St Clement's isn't available on the IGI. I'd like to try and find the birth of their son John Taylor in 1840 there, their marriage estimated 1834ish and William's birth if possible. Any direction as to where I might find this information online would be appreciated.

TIA  :)
BOYD (../Croydon/Frederick G b 1892, Silas b 1859&15);   
DIXON  (LIN/Barton on Humber/Alice b 1884, John b1857, Richard b 1819);   
MCDONNELL  (YKS/Leeds, Kingston Upon Hull/Peter b 1842, Edward b 1883);   
MURDY  (DUR/Hetton, Hough'n L S, Lambton, Sunderland/Thomas b1822, William H A b 1869);   
PALFREY  (LND/Paddington/Linda M b1885);   
TAYLOR  (NBL/Ellingham/Jonathan b1841, Moses b 1800, John

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: St Clement's Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 15 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi -

The parish registers of Oxfordshire have been transcribed by Oxfordshire Family History Society www.ofhs.org.uk - see CDs.  Oxford St Clements is on CD OX01.  Better for your purpose, though, would be to use the OFHS Search Services - you can have searches done at a nominal cost in the baptism, marriage, burial and MI county-wide databases.  I suggest using them will be your best course of action.

Offline GlitteringPrize

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 15 10:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Iffley I was hoping to find them online somewhere to have a poke around myself but will give the OHFS a go if I can't find them anywhere. Thanks again  :)
MURDY  (DUR/Hetton, Hough'n L S, Lambton, Sunderland/Thomas b1822, William H A b 1869);   

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
As Iffley says you wont find the PR's on line they can be purchsed from OFHS on CD or the OFHS will do a look up.

As a sweetner I think you will find your William Taylor, a mason, was a lodger in Wolvercote when he married Sarah CAPPELL also a lodger in the parish on 25 Dec 1835 at St Peter & St Pauls Church, Wolvercote.

But when their son John Charles was baptised at St Clements Church William's wifes name was entered as Anne on 19 July 1840

Hope this helps

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline GlitteringPrize

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 May 15 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi NDRFT

Wow, many thanks! I've emailed the OFHS regarding a search on the Taylors but thanks for the info in the meantime, that's brilliant!

So.......would you think Sarah & Anne are the same person (ie Sarah Anne Cappell maybe) or should I be going back over what I have to double check?

I have come across people in my tree who switch between using their Christian name and middle name but I've been able to prove they are one and the same person.

John Taylor is definitely who I am looking for b abt 1840. I have him on his son's marriage certificate in 1890 and censuses 1871 onwards as an Omnibus driver. However he moves from Oxford to London between 1851 and 1861, and between 1861 and 1871 changes occupation from Newsagent to Omnibus Driver.

Any thoughts you have would be gratefully received!

TIA

:)