Author Topic: Islington Workhouse Admissions and Discharges Annie Drake (nee Sweeney)  (Read 2321 times)

Offline redducky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I am struggling to get information on my Great-grandmother Annie Drake (nee Sweeney) born in London in 1864.  She was in and out of the Islington Workhouse with her children.  Her husband James John Drake was in and out of prison at the beginning of their marriage. I was wondering if anyone can explain the following comment in the Discharge Column - "Not Returned from Leave". This is what was put beside my great-grandmothers name the day after she was admitted in March 1906.  Her three children also in the workhouse with her had "St Giles Home" next to their names.  I am presuming she didn't return to collect them and they were put into a home?  This is 1906 and by now her husband seems to have a new partner Annie Smith and they had their first child in Dec 1905 in-spite of him having a child with the first Annie in March 1905 - 9 months gap.  I wonder what happened to the first wife Annie Sweeney.  My Dad always thought she died and James remarried, they took the older children out of care and had more children.  He didn't realise that this started happening while Annie was still alive and just had a baby to him.  Had she had enough and deserted them all?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Islington Workhouse Admissions and Discharges Annie Drake (nee Sweeney)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 10:05 BST (UK) »
www.workhouses.org.uk has a page re Islington:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Islington/

On there it states:
In 1905-6, perhaps because of shortage of space, batches of paupers appear to have been sent from St John’s Road to reside at the workhouse at North Witchford in Cambridgeshire. North Witchford presumably had spare capacity from which the guardians were only too pleased to generate an income.

Also, bear in mind that workhouses weren't prisons! Inmates were allowed out, with permission:
While residing in a workhouse, paupers were not allowed out without permission. Short-term absence could be granted for various reasons, such as a parent attending their child's baptism, or to visit a sick or dying relative. Able-bodied inmates could also be allowed out to seek work.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline redducky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Islington Workhouse Admissions and Discharges Annie Drake (nee Sweeney)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  North Witchford was a long way out to send them.  I wonder if she was one of them as she had a one year old baby not in with her..