Author Topic: Richard Robert Russell born 1874 Kent Eng Harry James Russell born Deptford E  (Read 6230 times)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi,

RIchard R Russell's obit is in the Toronto Star - 10 Oct 1952, page 35.  He lived at 2122 Gerrard St East.   He died on Oct 10th.  He was 68 years old.  His wife Lucrece is mentioned.  No kids mentioned.  It also says that he was survived by 2 brothers and 2 sisters in Scotland.  Unfortunately, they aren't named.... but, hopefully, this information can help determine whether or not this is your man :)

RK

Offline Peter Russell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Robert Russell born 1874 Kent Eng Harry James Russell born Deptford E
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 May 15 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all, thanks for your hard work it seems that this Richard R Russell is not the one I am looking for, did not think that it would be that hard to find him, with the initials RR.

The one in Toronto was the one that I thought might be him, mine Richard Robert Russell was born on 17 Apr 1874 so 10 years earlier, we are also the English branch of the Russell family.

It seems most likely that the passenger list for 1892 is correct as it would support the oral family history that RR & HJ Russell travelled to Canada, but that HJ came back and that RR was in Saskatchewan, however the census record for a Richard Russell in Manitoba for 1906 gives wrong age and different immigration year of 1903.

So it appears back to square one, he could have died or gone to the USA, I suppose.

Regards Peter

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Robert Russell born 1874 Kent Eng Harry James Russell born Deptford E
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 May 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter

I have searched around in Saskatchewan(my home province) and found a land record for a Richard R Russell NW Section 20 Township 17 Range 14 W2.This record from the Saskatchewan Homestead Index Project .

Further searching on the Canada Land Grant site through Library and Archives Canada I found a land grant record for Harry James Russell Number 81764 original owner NE Section 20 Township 17 Range 14 W2. There is a copy of the record you can view.

Now as these land records are side by side only stands to reason these are more than likely your family members.

Will do another quick search to see if I can find anything further.

Did Harry return and Richard stay? Any further info will be of great help.

Cheers
Lilybell

Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 May 15 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there, just to mention it might be worth you searching for Rassell as well as Russell.  In researching my Rassell family I often find Russell has been mistranscribed as Rassell, but phonetic searches don't always catch them. Good luck!
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Peter Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 May 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lilybell and Heather, I am blown away about the Land Grant information, yes Harry James did come back to the UK, no record found as yet on the passenger lists, but went to Wales and married a local girl, perhaps he did not go home as he did not make it in Canada. I assume that his brother Richard took over his Land Grant. HJ then moved back to England hence my existence.

Kind regards Peter.

Offline Peter Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 May 15 12:21 BST (UK) »
PS Married in Wales in 1901, so left Canada 1892 to say 1897ish.

Offline Peter Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 May 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lilybell, I found the file numbers 440179 for Harry James and 412445 for Richard R on the Homestead Index but got lost in the Library and Archives of Canada.

It seems that if I want these records a fee of $15 each is payable, but would also be interested if you find a census record for Richard as I would really like to know if he raised a family in Canada.

Cheers Peter.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 May 15 17:49 BST (UK) »

Hi Peter
I am going down to Regina,Sask in July and if you are not in a big hurry I can stop at the Archives and look up the land records as I have done this before in Alberta. I believe they only charge for photo copies of the records.

I have sent for land records from the Saskatchewan Archives in the past and the charge is $15.00
 they are so backed up it can take a long time to get the records.

Let me know  if you would like me to do the look up.

I have searched census records till my eyeballs are falling out and have not came up with any conclusive evidence for either brother.

The land records might shed some light on the situation. Do you know if Richard went by his first

or middle name or if he used Dick...looking at all possibilities. Marriages in Saskatchewan Vital
Statistics are not online yet won't be started until the deaths are done.

Will keep looking might have to look further afield maybe the US.

Library and Archives Canada look under Western Canada Land Grants.

Cheers
Lilybell :) :) :)
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline Peter Russell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 May 15 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Lilybell, that is very kind of you, I am not in a great hurry, but keen to know more, if you can get copies of the information I would be very grateful and can do a bank transfer for your expenses.

It does seem strange that no further records appear about Richard and the only oral history is that he went to Saskatchewan, it is only by chance speaking to a second cousin in Wales that I only discovered last year. and she told me that Harry James also went to Canada. Richard went when he was 18 and seems very young to have been granted land. Harry James it seems did not spend much time in Canada anyway so I guess it's not likely that he appeared on a census record.

I don't think that Richard used his middle name, but this is only a guess.

Kind regards Peter.