Author Topic: Baptism of Julia Anne Heyward late 1844.  (Read 5438 times)

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism of Julia Anne Heyward late 1844.
« on: Saturday 23 May 15 03:34 BST (UK) »
Trying to find if Julia Anne Heyward, daughter of William Lash and Ann Heyward, nee Smith, was ever baptised. She appears in the burial register of St. Mary's Church, Scarborough, Yorkshire, as being buried on the 8 November 1844 aged 5 weeks with the Rev. Holton performing the burial service. A registration for her birth appears to have occurred in the Dec Quarter 1844. Trying to figure out why her death registration appeared in the September Quarter of 1844 when she died on the 5 November! Intriguing process for a New Zealander.
Barrie Green.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism of Julia Anne Heyward late 1844.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 May 15 09:10 BST (UK) »
Have you got the death cert (for the death registered Jul/Aug/Sep) to see what date of death is given and to confirm it is the same child?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 May 15 12:56 BST (UK) »
Have you checked to see if there was more than one Julia?  If one child Julia died in Sep qtr and her parents named their new baby after her and then the baby died this could account for the two registrations.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 May 15 01:01 BST (UK) »
Have you got the death cert (for the death registered Jul/Aug/Sep) to see what date of death is given and to confirm it is the same child?

Hi lizdb

Yes I do have the certificate and the Parish Burial entry. The data has sent me thinking whether the birth was registered after the death. Heyward appears to be a rare family name around Scarborough.

Many thanks for the thought.

Barrie Green

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 May 15 01:04 BST (UK) »
Have you checked to see if there was more than one Julia?  If one child Julia died in Sep qtr and her parents named their new baby after her and then the baby died this could account for the two registrations.

All the best
Philip

Hi Philip

Thanks for your thought. All the evidence to date indicates only one Heyward child was on the scene in 1844. Currently trying to fathom out the story.

Many thanks

Barrie Green.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 May 15 09:26 BST (UK) »
So, if you have the death cert from the Jul/Aug/Sep death, - what date of death and age of child did that give?

DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 May 15 23:16 BST (UK) »
So, if you have the death cert from the Jul/Aug/Sep death, - what date of death and age of child did that give?

Hullo again lizdb

Yes I have the death date and her age as indicated on my original request of death on the 5 November 1844 from convulsions with burial as obtained from the Parish Burial register on the 8 November 1844. by the Rev. John Dennis Holton. Her father William Lash Heyward was a mariner with her mother Ann, nee Smith dying in Colombo, Sri Lanka on the 13 January 1849. Have sent for the indicated birth but unable to access the Baptismal Register of Scarborough's St. Mary's Church. We will solve the enigma one day.

Regards  Barrie Green.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 08:36 BST (UK) »
We have a misunderstanding here!

You have a mystery as to why the burial in November, with a November death date (details given in first post and again in most recent post) appears to have been registered in the Jul/Aug/Sep quarter.

I know you have the details from the burial.
But I asked if you had the death cert!  Ie the cert that the Jul/Aug/Sep index entry relates to. Surely only when you see what that says will you be able to compare the two records properly and see what is causing the mystery.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline Barrie Green

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 00:54 BST (UK) »
We have a misunderstanding here!

You have a mystery as to why the burial in November, with a November death date (details given in first post and again in most recent post) appears to have been registered in the Jul/Aug/Sep quarter.

I know you have the details from the burial.
But I asked if you had the death cert!  Ie the cert that the Jul/Aug/Sep index entry relates to. Surely only when you see what that says will you be able to compare the two records properly and see what is causing the mystery.

Hi lizab

Yes we do have a mystery as I applied for the Death Certificate re Julia Ann Heyward from the Sep Quarter, Scarborough, 24, 296 Records. Other requests for other folk at the same time and on the same form were correctly delivered within 2 weeks but not that of Julia Ann. A note to the Request Office 3 weeks later resulted in the Certicate with the death on the 5 November, a quarter later than the advertised Quarter, being received. Non plussed I have taken this approach wondering if she was ever baptised as she was certainly buried, aged 5 weeks old, on the 8 November 1844. My asumption was she was not baptised and possibly the death and birth may have been registered at the same time with the two entries referring to the opposite event i.e. birth processed as death and death processed as birth. We do have mishaps out here with our Civil Registration Offices and wonder if England ever experienced similar happenings! The new request for her birth may shed some light on the event. Always something new to think about. Wil let you know when the Birth Certificate is received.

Regards - Barrie Green.