Author Topic: Ships from Ukraine to Liverpool  (Read 774 times)

Offline sandsunsurf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ships from Ukraine to Liverpool
« on: Saturday 23 May 15 04:57 BST (UK) »
I have learned that Petro and Marja Wasylciw (Wasylciow) and their 6 children from the Ukraine travelled by ship with Baltic Ship Corp. from  Ukraine to Liverpool where they boarded the ship Montclare for a voyage to Canada landing in May /1927.  I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is somewhere  I can learn what the name of the ship they travelled on from Ukraine was. I am not sure this is where I should post this request. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ships from Ukraine to Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 May 15 11:06 BST (UK) »
The Ukraine is largely landlocked, save for some southern ports on the Black Sea (Odessa, Sevastopol), in the Mediterranean. If your ancestors travelled to Liverpool with the Baltic Shipping Company in 1927, then I’d guess they journeyed overland through Poland to somewhere like Danzig (modern Gdansk) or Hamburg, both ports then in Germany.

Though some passenger lists exist for such journeys, in general records weren’t kept or retained for inter-European voyages. You could try findmypast or ancestry, both of which do have passenger lists, on the off chance that your family is listed.
Elwyn

Offline sandsunsurf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ships from Ukraine to Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 May 15 01:13 BST (UK) »
I have tried Ancestry and no luck but perhaps I need someone more knowledgeable than I am!
Thanks for your reply. :)