Author Topic: Cheyne/Cheney Family Lambourn Berks  (Read 3129 times)

Offline kmahard

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cheyne/Cheney Family Lambourn Berks
« on: Sunday 24 May 15 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am struggle with the Cheney/Cheyne Line
I am descended from Dorothy Cheney b 1591 Lambourn Berkshire Her father was Lawrence but no mother is shownon her birth details. Dorothy married John Streate
Many online trees have Lawrence marring Julian Waldron but I cannot find any records of this and the trees are not sourced.
The website  www.tudorplace.com has the line but it is unsourced and doesn’t match the 1600’s visitations. Some trees show Lawrence’s Father as John and others William
I have Lawrence’s Children all born in lambourn but  looking to continue the line up
There is a Millennium File showing Lawrence born 1566 and death 1643.How accurate are these files?
If any one out there can help me I would appreciate it
Keith
Harding Stannard Parker Tarrant Barrett Bartlett Butfoy Allard Worwood Byrne Davis Viney Drewett Palmer Catton Wall Blayney Scott Whittingham Reynolds Hammond Whellock Starkey Pitt Ingle Bull Beach Bishop Ayling Leggat Snelling Bunn

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cheyne/Cheney Family Lambourn Berks
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 May 15 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

I’m not sure if I can help you as the records are a little wanting in the 1500s.
I do have some transcripts for Lambourn (which I got off the I/Net) and I can see the entry of Dorothy CHAINEY d/o Lawrence 28-10-1591 but as you have the other children’s bapts  I’ll not post them here.

If you have access to And…y  - there are a few trees listing Lawrence Cheney marrying a Julian Waldron  in Berks in 1588  but no sources to confirm it. I have found a Julian Cheney being buried in 1636 w/o Larence in Up Woodlands, Lambourn which seems promising.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline kmahard

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 May 15 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan
I found the death of Julian this afternoon lol.
I have looked at the trees but no sources have tried to contact a few of them most no replies or they
 said they followed other trees
I cant find a marriage between Lawrence and Julian  or the link to Lawrence's Parents none of the 1600's visitations show a Lawrence until 1396
The milennium File on A.com shows a Lawrence born 1566 and death  1643 which is the same as the death I have for Lawrence. I shows his Father as John and Mother Agnes but have found no details on them
Will keep looking and if you find out anything else of use I would be grateful if you would forward it
I have found Extracted probates docs for John 1575 and Agnes 1584 will have to see if wills are available
regards
Keith
Harding Stannard Parker Tarrant Barrett Bartlett Butfoy Allard Worwood Byrne Davis Viney Drewett Palmer Catton Wall Blayney Scott Whittingham Reynolds Hammond Whellock Starkey Pitt Ingle Bull Beach Bishop Ayling Leggat Snelling Bunn

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 May 15 21:37 BST (UK) »
From experience, I don't think tudorplace.com is that reliable, especially without any sources listed.  Unfortunately its like a lot of similar websites that exist and get copied, they're more based on supposition than concrete evidence.  Granted the earlier the period, the more difficult to confirm from documentation.

As to Millenium Files, I think you'll find they are from user-submitted trees originally originally on familysearch, or at least an LDS website, and carry the same caveat as any other user-submitted trees on the site. :-X
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day