Author Topic: The 1916 Tullamore Incident  (Read 8756 times)

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The 1916 Tullamore Incident
« on: Monday 25 May 15 00:08 BST (UK) »
I've been doing some research into my Hogan ancestors and came across this article about a shoot-out between republicans and police. I've copy and pasted the article:

FROM THE SINN FEIN REBELLION HAND BOOK (ISSUED BY WEEKLY IRISH TIMES) 1917

The AFFRAY AT TULLAMORE 20TH MARCH 1916

While the proceedings in Dublin on St. Patrick’s Day were still a matter of public comment, a new development occurred at Tullamore on Monday Evening 20th of March. Ill feeling which had been smoldering in the town for some time against the Sinn Fein Volunteers was manifested at a hurling match in aid of the Wolfe Tone memorial on Sunday, 19th March, when a spectator attempted to remove a flag from one of the Sinn Feiners, who, it was alleged, retaliated by drawing a revolver. The feeling was accentuated the following morning. Monday 20th March, at Tullamore Station, where a number of women were taking leave of their husbands, who are serving in the Leinster Regiment. A body of Sinn Fein Volunteers who appeared on the platform were the object of a hostile demonstration. Those incidents culminated in a shooting affray in the Sinn Fein Hall in William St. the same evening. A number of children catboohing and cheering, stone throwing began, and the windows of the hall were smashed. The volunteers inside retaliated by firing revolvers, and a large force of police proceeded to search the hall for arms. A general melee then took place, revolvers were fired at the police and several of them were injured. Ultimately several men were arrested and charged next morning with having fired at and attacked with intent to murder County Inspector Crane, District Inspector Fitzgerald, Head Constable Stuart, and Sergeant Aherne. Subsequently another batch of volunteers were arrested and remands were granted several times, as Sergeant Ahern was unable to appear, he having been seriously injured and conveyed to Stephen’s Hospital, Dublin (page 5) (continued on page 127) An official report issued on Thursday 22nd June from Military Headquarters, in Dublin states: The following prisoners from Tullamore, viz: James O’Brennan, Frank Brennan, John Delaney, Joseph Morris, Thomas Duggan, Joseph Graham, Peter Bracken, Thomas Byrne, James Clarke, Henry McNally, Thomas Hogan, Joseph Wrafter were tried by court-martial on the 26the of May. They were charged with the attempted murder of Co Inspector Crane, Dist, Inspector Fitzgerald and Sergeant Ahearn (sic) while an attempt was being made by the police to enter the Sinn Fein hall at Tullamore on the 20th March, and disarm a number of men who were in possession of the hall, from which shots were being fired and sergeant Ahearn received a bullet wound which placed his life for several weeks in danger. The prisoners after having been brought before the local magistrates, were handed over to the military, and at their court-martial, which followed, Mr Healy, K.C who appeared for them, contended that they had been illegally transferred from the civil to the military authorities. The General Officer Commanding-in-Chief has not confirmed the proceedings, and has ordered their release from military custody.

My Hogan ancestor was called Thomas Hogan and according the 1901 and 1911 Irish Censuses he was born in about 1868. In both 1901 and 1911 he lived in Pensioners Row, Tullamore.

I'm curious to know whether or not my Thomas Hogan is the same one that was involved in the 1916 incident. In the 1911 census there are three Thomas Hogan's living in Tullamore (including my ancestor). I found some documents from the court martial (http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS0049.pdf#page=2) and these documents give Thomas Hogan's (the one involved in the incident) address as Barrack Street, Tullamore. None of the Thomas Hogan's from either the 1911 or 1901 census lived on Barrack Street.

If someone could maybe suggest how I could prove or disprove my ancestors involvement I would be very grateful. I was wondering if perhaps there are some more detailed court records available somewhere which might give the ages of those involved?
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The 1916 Tullamore Incident
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 15 00:50 BST (UK) »
The Witness Statement said they were sent to Kilmainham so looking at the Irish Prison Register there is this chap
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KMQH-GKH
He is only 18

I'm guessing this is Frank O Brennan
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KMQC-419

Thomas Duggan
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KMQH-GKW

You can check if the rest are there https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list/?page=1&countryId=1927084

Modified to fix link

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 15 01:00 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, thank you! My Thomas Hogan was born in about 1868 to that clears him of any wrongdoing!
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline Galoglas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 December 19 14:34 GMT (UK) »
An interesting account of the incident. Unfortunately it does not name more of the police officers. My Grandfather was an RIC Constable and would have been involved in this incident. I know that he was later involved in the arrest of one of the men involved. He left the RIC in 1918 and used his skills to assist the volunteers back in Cavan.