Author Topic: CRAWFORD James 1837 - 1918  (Read 4083 times)

Offline SherlockBones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • today is the beginning of the future of yesterday
    • View Profile
Re: CRAWFORD James 1837 - 1918
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 June 15 06:08 BST (UK) »
Back online now after my modem decided it had seen better days.
Many thanks for all the effort guys. I greatly appreciate the fact that you went the extra mile.
I will digest the information you have provided over the next couple of days and see what is what. On first glance I may need to purchase a death certificate.
Once again thank you so much.
Jon
AUSTRALIA WAS ALWAYS DESTINED TO BE A GREAT COUNTRY. AFTER ALL WE HAD THE WORLD'S BEST JUDGES SELECTING ITS INHABITANTS.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 June 15 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim

It means the pre-1855 baptism, marriage and burial records in Scotland are harder to find for the non-conformists and indeed may often not be found at all; it depends on what religion they may have been and how the clerks in the place of worship they attended (or affiliated to) kept records. You will find that pre-1855 records in some shires or towns are more sparse than in others, and that some shires or towns were more likely to have a higher level of 'non conformist' inhabitants.

With the Established Church (conformist) the records were kept at the Parish in which the event occurred, and the Parish was established by set boundaries and every Parish had it's established place of Worship.   Not always the case with other denominations - Weslyan, Methodist, Baptist, Quaker, Catholic, Dissenters etc. Even in the established Church, not all Parish records survived or were fully kept Pre-1855..

Scottish records are excellent generally (not in the least, for me anyway, because of the recording of the mother's maiden name on baptisms and burials, and post-1855 naming both parents of an individual at marriage or death).

So unfortunately for us searching centuries later, the lack of a marriage record between an Angus CRAWFORD and a Mary COLVILLE  isn't odd at all.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/RFW/Abbey/
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Scotland_Church_Records
http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/churches?CCC=RFW,GR=NS485639,DIST=3,PLACE=Abbey

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 June 15 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly, Thanks for that. I am never adverse to learning something I didn't know. It only surprises me in Scottish records when you don't find anything, as you say their records being generally so good. Now Irish records on the other hand............. Like yourself I use the Scottish record a fair bit and can see such a difference between them and the Irish.A shame really as the Irish were a most prolific race! Again,cheers! Kim