Author Topic: Help With A Place Name In Wales for the parish of Cerrigydrudion  (Read 3966 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help With A Place Name In Wales for the parish of Cerrigydrudion
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 May 15 08:38 BST (UK) »
I think there may be a number of "Bryn Ffolt"s and that one seems a little too far away from Glasfryn/Hafod y Maidd(if that is the correct one!).The later census reference I found was near Cefn Brith close to the places above.

Regards
Roger

Offline SharonAnne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census & BMD Information is Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Help With A Place Name In Wales for the parish of Cerrigydrudion
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 May 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying, and thank you everyone for your help.

I forgot to mention that the 1851 and 1861 census both say he was born in Cerrigydrudion, by then though he was married and living in Amlwch on Anglesey.

I notice that Cadwaladr Lloyd is a miller.Next to Glasfryn on maps circa 1875 are both a Corn Mill and a property Ty'n y Felin.Perhaps Bryn Ffolt was one of the adjacent buildings.

Regards
Roger
Received a pm from Jimbach who suggests that "FFolt  is the Welsh corruption of the English fold   as in sheep  fold etc."
I think there may be a number of "Bryn Ffolt"s and that one seems a little too far away from Glasfryn/Hafod y Maidd(if that is the correct one!).The later census reference I found was near Cefn Brith close to the places above.

Regards
Roger
I think Bryn Ffolt seems very likely, particularly as it was near to Cefn Brith. I'm finding it can be guesswork with Welsh placenames, I suppose because many documents were transcribed by English clerks.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=52.9383&lon=-3.7030&layers=171

Regards

Malky
That's a useful website, thank you.
Williams, Marshall, Garrard, Hughes, Roberts, Evans
McAndrew, Higginson, Settle, Watts, Martin, Dunn