Author Topic: McVity family around Belturbet  (Read 3618 times)

Offline Nick Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McVity family around Belturbet
« on: Friday 29 May 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, looking for some help in finding my 3x great grandmother's family. Here name was Frances or Fanny McVitty/McVitie. She had a son, Samuel Blyth baptized at St. Mary's Catholic Church Belturbet in 1854. There are a few stories in the family about her, but none of them can be confirmed, mostly because her son and grandson both died young and the only information we have came from her daughter-in-law Susan McCaffrey back in the mid-1900's.

Basically all of the McVity's I have found in the censuses around Cavan have been Protestant, and all the sources I've seen describe McVity as a Scottish name, but her son Samuel was baptized in a Catholic church. She is deceased on her son's marriage certificate in 1881. Samuel's father (also deceased by the time of the marriage) is Samuel Blyth senior, occupation listed as 'soldier.'

Samuel Jr. was a shoemaker but also had a general store in Belturbet. No siblings that we know of. The family story passed down from Susan McCaffrey (Sam Jr.'s wife) is that Samuel Sr. was a captain in the British army (so probably also a Protestant), that he rode a horse, and that he was stationed either in Belturbet or somewhere in the area around Cavan where he met Fanny McVity. He's supposed to have either been from or stationed at some point in Devonport, England, and later was moved out to India in the 1850's. I think it's also worth noting that this was also while the Crimean War was going on. Fanny is supposed to have gone to India with him but came home due to health problems. She was probably pregnant at the time because Samuel Jr. was baptized in 1854. We don't have any documentation about them other than Samuel Jr.'s baptism record that just lists the names of his parents and his marriage certificate that list his parents and his father's occupation and says they're both deceased by 1881.

Samuel Jr. died in 1884 of pneumonia exacerbated by cervical caries when he fell through a frozen pond ice-skating. He had two children, Mary and Thomas. Thomas died at age 22, also of pneumonia, so the Blyth name seems to have died out in Ireland, or the Belturbate/Cavan area at least. I can't find anyone else in the area with it. Mary married John Morris in, I think 1901.

I have found record of a Captain Samuel Blyth, in "An Historical Memoir of the 35th Royal Sussex Regiment of Foot."

https://archive.org/stream/anhistoricalmem00trimgoog/anhistoricalmem00trimgoog_djvu.txt

The times all seem to match. Captain Samuel F. Blyth is in the light infantry (which from what I understand means they rode horses), and the regiment is headquarted in Enniskillen Castle in 1850 (with a detachment in Belturbet), moves to Devonport in 1852, and heads to India in 1854, with Captain Blyth being mentioned fighting in India during the 1857 Sepoy Rebellion. Because this was happening during the Crimean War as well and the regiment was split up with some men going to Crimea but most going to India.

(long story, will continue in second post)

Offline Nick Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McVity family around Belturbet
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 May 15 19:36 BST (UK) »
The only problem is that Captain Samuel Blyth marries Emma Dartnell in India around 1856or 1857. None of his children are named Samuel though, but he, his father, and grandfather all bear that name, so he seems to have broken with the tradition, unless his firstborn son was the Samuel Jr. living in Ireland.

http://www.john-attfield.com/paf_tree/attfield_current/fam747.html

^That pedigree has Captain Blyth, his father, Samuel Blyth, but ends there and doesn't have his grandfather but I've seen one source that says his grandfather was the Captain Samuel Blyth of the HMS Boxer who died in 1813 at the age of 29 in the War of 1812.

So it's all kind of confusing, especially with the lack of documents and the people who would probably know more having died too early. I know up until the 1860's, I think, although interfaith marriages were legal they could not be performed by a Catholic priest, so looking to the Catholic church for marriage records of Samuel and Fanny probably wouldn't turn anything up. Is it possibly my Sam Jr. was illegitimate? It doesn't say so on his baptism record, but he has no siblings, so could Fanny McVity have been Captain Blyth's mistress and when she came back to Ireland maybe went to a parish where no one knew her (maybe hence why I can't find other McVitys in Belturbet) and just lied that her husband was out in India? Maybe Sam Sr. sent money for his son to be apprenticed as a shoemaker and to invest in his store? Or maybe Sam Sr. and Fanny were married but Fanny died giving birth (she's supposed to have been sick when she came back from India) and Sam Jr. was raised by Catholic relatives?

For what else it may be worth, there is a McVity family in Belturbet in the 1901 census, but they were Protestants originally born in Fermanagh. Also, Captain Samuel Blyth died in Malta in 1880, so that fits Sam Jr.'s wedding certificate of his father being dead by 1881. My second cousin I met through the internet says that Sam Jr.'s daughter, Mary, went to visit England in the early 1900's, either to Bath or Bristol, she can't remember, and went to a large house looking for relatives of the Blyth's, but a housekeeper told her the family was away in France at the time, and that's the last I've heard of any possible connections.

So if anyone has any possible information the the McVity's of Cavan, specifically Belturbet, or also the Blyths I guess, I would really appreciate it. Also maybe how tense interfaith relations were. I know the Presbyterians were also restricted by the penal laws, so maybe Fanny was from an Ulster-Scot family and when she had a child by a (probably) Anglican, she raised the child Catholic instead. That sounds less likely but I'm just trying to make sense of the situation of all the McVitys seeming to be Protestant and her raising her half-English child Catholic.

Anyway, thanks in advance-

Nick

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 May 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick
"It's spelt incorrect on the records, so you won't find it"
Try other spellings.
Maggsie

Offline Nick Vogel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick
Try other spellings.
Maggsie

Thanks Magsie, I might give Family Search's record database a try and see if other spellings work.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 23:57 BST (UK) »
BLYTH, Thomas was born ABT 1883 in Co Cavan, (son of Susan Blyth) was in the 1901 census for Barrack Hill, Belturbet, County Cavan, Ireland

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000450924/
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick
Try other spellings.
Maggsie

Thanks Magsie, I might give Family Search's record database a try and see if other spellings work.

Well if you're using D/search just put in     Surname   and Belturbet, Ireland      as the address as they go by the Registry Office address!!  You can put year range in if you want
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 01:28 BST (UK) »
Well if you're using D/search  should be F/search!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 10:43 BST (UK) »
Nick,
Please read your Private Messages!
Maggsie

Offline Chattycat1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nick,
I am related to Samuel Fritche Blyth, who apparently is your 3X great grandfather.  I can provide some information for you if you are still circulating on this forum.

Catherine