Author Topic: Pubs in Cockermouth  (Read 9599 times)

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Pubs in Cockermouth
« on: Sunday 31 May 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
On the 1911 census my G Grandfather is shown at 12 St Helens Street as a Publican, does anyone know which pub this was. In 1891 he is shown living at a private House on St Helens Street, but the 1881 census shows him living at the Cordwainers Arms, does anyone know where this was. On 1871 census my G G Grandfather is shown on St Helens Street (No number) as a Beer house Keeper, does anyone know how I can find out the name of the Beer house. On the 1861 census he is shown living on St Helens St (no number) at the Harp Inn, does anyone know where this was. Any information or ideas how I can find information on St Helens St pubs would be greatly appreciated
Keenan, McKenzie, Knowles, Berry, Gregg, Hutchinson, Allan, Strickland.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pubs in Cockermouth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 May 15 16:48 BST (UK) »
Robert Holmes, 12 St Helens Street it was the Bowling Green Inn.
You can see it on the map at http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=17&lat=54.6643&lon=-3.3550&layers=171&right=BingHyb
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 May 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
Thats great Stan, thank you very much. What is the document you have copied the name & address from

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 May 15 20:10 BST (UK) »
I just noticed from the map link you sent me, it's the Bowling Green Hotel. Is this the same as the more recent Bowling Green Inn ?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 May 15 22:11 BST (UK) »
Thats great Stan, thank you very much. What is the document you have copied the name & address from

The name and address are the front of the 1911 census schedule, if you are on Ancestry then it is the next image from the one with the address 12 St Helens Street.  The Bowling Green Hotel, and  Bowling Green Inn are the same. This is the 1864 map http://maps.nls.uk/view/102340848#zoom=6&lat=8503&lon=13553&layers=BT

Stan

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 May 15 23:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Stan. I had looked at 12 St Helens St on Google maps, which shows a listed building which is a house and not looking like a pub. Now it looks like he lived at No 12 in 1911 while being the landlord of the Bowling Green. He is shown on the 1881 census and the 1883 Bulmer's directory in the Cordwainers Arms, I wonder where that was. I'm also wondering if the Carlisle archive may have lists of licensed publicans.
You've been a great help
Thank you

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 June 15 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi I have taken a quick look through the census for the Bowling Green Inn , looking at the enumerators walk it starts normally at Market Place/Market Street and reaches in 1901 12, Bowling Green Inn RG13/4880/11/14 Run by a Joseph Harrison, in 1891 it is shown as Bow Green Hotel run by Joseph Munay? Census ref RG12/4301/12/18 in 1881 Bowling Green Inn run by Matthew Bradley Census ref RG11/5172/17/26
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 June 15 08:58 BST (UK) »
Now it looks like he lived at No 12 in 1911 while being the landlord of the Bowling Green.

If you look at the census summary book, the number 12 is not shown but the building between numbers 10 & 14 is the Bowling Green Inn. On the household schedule filled in by Robert Holmes he has put the address as 12 St. Helens Street below his signature, and on the following page (the reverse of the schedule) the enumerator has put Bowling Green St Helens St.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 June 15 11:18 BST (UK) »
In Kelly's Directory of Cumberland, 1910 the Bowling Green Inn, listed under Public Houses, is shown at 12 St. Helens Street, so it looks as though St. Helens Street could have been renumbered, as the present No. 12 is not in the same location as where the Bowling Green Inn (Hotel) is shown on the old maps.
Stan