Author Topic: Look up for St Wilfrid's Bishop Auckland and Royal Engineers records please  (Read 4146 times)

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to look up a baptism for a Thomas Kavanagh born in Woodside Auckland around 1861 looking for his father's name to be John.
Also a lookup for the same name born around 1864/65 in Spennymoor and again with a father by the name of John. This will help to eliminate one or the other.
And for the same name the Royal Engineers records for 1917 Military regiment 120344, Military Battalion 6th Labour Regiment Birth 1861 born Woodside Durham.
I have looked for Thomas Kavanagh for years without luck as I only have his marriage cert and no death or birth. I have found this info on two men with the same name so I am trying to eliminate one of them in the hopes of finding my G Grandfather. Any help would be wonderful. Many thanks in advance.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up for St Wilfrid's Bishop Auckland and Royal Engineers records please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 June 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
The one with the regiment number 120344 Thomas Cavanagh birth year 1869 age 46 occupation builders labourer ...Married to a Margaret Wood 30/7/1883 Middlesborough

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 June 15 12:57 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks Rosie 17, that does help to eliminate him. Now to find the Spennymoor one. I understand only St. Wilfrid's RC Church was there in 181 having been build in 1845.
On the 1881 census this T Kavanagh was listed as Cariner and born 1861.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 June 15 13:00 BST (UK) »
Just checked the marriage for this Thomas to Margaret Wood 1883 South Shields Durham ..Maybe if you give us his wife's name or any children's names we might be able to find a death etc  :)

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 June 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, this is a really mysterious case. All I have is his marriage cert to prove he lived. He married in 1894 in Lanchester to Margaret Mc Coy. However, I have never ever been able to find a birth or death for him. The odd thing is Margaret re-married a Patrick McIntyre in 1902 and on the 1881 census Partrick Mc Intyre is living with his father and Thomas Cariner who is a londger and now we know he was Thomas Kavanagh not Cariner. Both Patrick and Thomas born Woodside 1861. I am now wondering if Margaret Wood died and he moved on and married Margaret Mc Coy But sill can find no death for him and have looked at every Kavanagh listed and not one is mine. Any ideas?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 June 15 13:14 BST (UK) »
The census you mentioned is the address Ratten Row Durham ? as there is a Thomas Cavanagh born Spennymoor  with I assume his father John age 47 born Ireland Catherine age 49 b Ireland
John Cavanagh b Ferryhill Durham age 9 ,is this the same family

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 June 15 13:28 BST (UK) »
I don't think so Rosie and that is why it is confusing. Added to that when I followed this one back to the 1871 census it has Thomas born in Wrexham. I have contacted the registras' for both areas without luck, however, since Thomas of Ratten Row was supposed to be born in 1864/5 he woul dnot need to be registered so that is where the look up for St Wilfrid's comes in too see if I can find him there. The 1864/5 birth would fit in with the marriage as he was literate and said he was 27 when married.
Told you this is a really mysterious case, lol. Been trying for many years now to find him.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 June 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
What was his occupation on the marriage certificate witnesses ? did him and Margaret have any family ?  On Margaret's second marriage is she listed as a widow

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 June 15 13:39 BST (UK) »
Occupation n marriage cert is coal miner with father John a labourer. Witnesses Edward Cranston and Elizabeth Kennedy. Children are Catherine Brigitte Cavanagh, my Gran and John Thomas Kavanagh died aged 1 in Newcastle in 1900. Margaret states her name as Margaret Kavanagh when she remarried.