Author Topic: Anne Wood Bapt 1814-1822 Satwell?  (Read 4916 times)

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Nanny and Grandad married in 1921
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Wood Bapt 1814-1822 Satwell?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 June 15 13:06 BST (UK) »
H artifis

Thanks to your help with the above, I've now found the Woods family census details for 1841 and 1851. In 1851 Richard is recorded as being born in Greys c1784 and I think he died in 1859 as Ann is recorded in the 1861 and 1871 census as a Widow, I believe she died in 1874. (Richard and Ann (nee Sadbury) were married in Remenham Berks in 1814, (where Ann came from))

There are three public trees on Ancestry that have a Richard Woods born 1782 Oxfordshire (married to Ann Sadbury) with parents Peter Woods and Sarah Stevens and I would like to be able to confirm that Peter and Sarah are Richards parents (if possible by finding a baptism for Richard). If you or anybody else can help that would be great.

Chris

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 June 15 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris.

All from Rotherfield Greys.

Richard Wood buried 20 April 1859 77 y/o from Satwell - means born c 1782

Richard s/o Peter & Sarah Wood baptised 26 Oct 1783 - transcription includes 'Act of Parliament Duty 3d per entry' whatever that means!

1781 23 Feb Kitty bap. d/o Peter & Sarah - transcription has /Bridget after Sarah then bn Greys Court 23 Feb
1787 5 Aug Peter bap. s/o Peter & Sarah

2 Nov 1780 Peter Wood married Sarah Stevens, witnesses Anne Brown & Mary Herrise.

There is a burial for a Peter Wood on 23 Oct 1788, no age given.

No baptisms for Peter or Sarah.

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 June 15 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks artifis, you're a star   :) :) :)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 June 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
Just checked and Greys Court is a large Tudor country mansion now owned by the National Trust, I assume Peter and Sarah were either working there at the time of Kitty's birth or they were associated with the family who owned it at that time - might be an interesting line to look at.

I note from a map that Rotherfield Peppard is nearby and I have those records so I'll have a look to see if Peter or Sarah appear there, might be next week as invasion of two granddaughters imminent!

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 June 15 16:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry nothing at Rotherfield Peppard and I don't have transcripts of any of the other nearby parishes.

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 June 15 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks artifis, I think a visit to Greys Court is on the cards in the not to distant future!

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 09:53 BST (UK) »
Could I suggest making contact with them first, as it's NT property there will certainly be a buildings manager and maybe an archivist.  It's possible that the staff records for the period when Kitty was born still exist, some estates that remained in the family for some time retained their records and they were 'passed on' to succeeding families as forgotten or no longer of interest. The NT have in the past found veritable treasure troves of paperwork when they've been given buildings/estates and you might strike lucky, worth an email anyway. Wish some of my ancestors were so associated, my mother was in service in the early 20s/30s but the places were either bombed during the last war or the records simply destroyed when the buildings were pulled down for housing developments.

Offline candrjm

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 June 15 09:06 BST (UK) »
Artifis,

Many thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try and thanks again for all your help.

Chris