Author Topic: The origins of Caroline WILLIAMS (or JENKINS) c. 1865 Staffs -1926 Hartlepool  (Read 3881 times)

Offline ikennedy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I need another pair of eyes and/or Staffordshire expertise on tracing the origin of Caroline WILLIAMS later ROWBOTHAM later still BRITTAIN. What I have in reverse order is this - the trail is working back from Hartlepool...

1926 Oct 4 Caroline BRITTAIN death in West Hartlepool (inf. son John ROWBOTHAM) widow of William BRITTAIN
1911 census West Hartlepool born 'Greybridge Staffordshire' with spouse William BRITTAIN and son William [q: where is Greybridge??]
1908 June NOT inf of death of William WILLIAMS steelwork labourer inf. is son in law William BRITTAIN 10 Wilson St
1908 March inf at death of mother Mary WILLIAMS wife of William W. steelworks labourer 5 Ainslie St
1907 Middlesbrough marriage 2 to William BRITTAIN gives name as Caroline WILLIAMS widow d. of William JENKINS labourer [q. is this just an error or is it possible the family are using a patronymic?? There is no good fit to a Staffs Caroline JENKINS unless she lied a lot about her age later]

1901 census 4642-174-32 22 Winter St West Hartlepool age 33 born Dudley Staffs named Caroline ROWBOTHAM with lodger William BRITTAIN and 3 ROWBOTHAM children
1901 census Wm and Mary WILLIAMS both b. Staffordshire age 71 and 69 at 74 Mainsforth Terrace West Hartlepool, William labourer at rolling mills
1891 census 4066-67-21 Caroline ROWBOTHAM age 25 born 'West Bromage' Staffs with spouses John ROWBOTHAM and 3 R. children 31 Alice St
1891 census no sign of the WILLIAMS on the east coast?
1884 West Hartlepool marriage 1 to John ROWBOTHAM she aged 20 res Seaton Carew d. of William WILLIAMS labourer. There is a WILLIAMS witness possibly M? WILLIAMS her? mark.
1881 census I can see 4 candidates 3 living alone and one born c. 1861 Penkridge with ps Wm and Mary. The other three are born c 1862 Wolverhampton, 1864 Eccleshall and 1866 Ludlow.
1871 getting harder. I can only find one candidate b. c. 1863 Penkridge with ps Wm and Mary. residing West Bromich
1861 no Caroline Ws at all. 4 candidates for ps if already married at this stage, fathers b
1838 Penkridge
1836 Walsall
1834 Pelsall
1832 Toll End

The only birth I have viewed is the 1865 Eccleshall one which gives parents William W. and Mary BENNETT. There are several others esp in Dudley and one in Penkridge 1862. That might tie to the family in WB in 1871 but location is a bit out - she may be confused about exactly where she was born if they moved soon after.

There are two notable deaths 1866 Dudley for a 1yo Caroline WILLIAMS and same year a 0yo in Stourbridge.

I haven't looked at any Wm & Mary marriage certs, there are quite a lot of potential ones to examine.

Any thoughts welcome other than the somewhat obvious 'buy more certs' eg unless I match a birth loc to the 1871 census I am stuck. Have I missed another 1871 candidate? I have used the Ancestry census transcriptions so maybe I have missed one due to that. It seems odd I have less candidates in 1871 than in 1881?

Thanks in advance. 

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The origins of Caroline WILLIAMS (or JENKINS) c. 1865 Staffs -1926 Hartlepool
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 June 15 05:14 BST (UK) »
[q: where is Greybridge??]

There is a William Ben BACHE who appears in the Census (twice in 1881 as it happens) and his place of birth is given variously as Great Bridge (1881 & 1911), Greybridge (1881), Gt Bridge (1891), Dudley (1901). His online bio says born Great Bridge Staffs.
http://www.myprimitivemethodists.org.uk/page/william_benjamin_bache

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/STS/Tipton/
GENUKI - TIPTON, STAFFORDSHIRE:
"...Branching eastward are the neighbouring villages of Bloomfield, Burnt-Tree, Dudley Port, and Horseley Heath, the three latter of which form one continuous street of houses and manufactories, extending two miles on the Birmingham road, and a little beyond them are the large villages of Toll-End and Great Bridge, the latter of which is partly in West Bromwich, and has a railway station, three miles ENE of Dudley…."

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline ikennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The origins of Caroline WILLIAMS (or JENKINS) c. 1865 Staffs -1926 Hartlepool
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 June 15 07:50 BST (UK) »
Ambly, that's a nice find, thanks. That could link them to the Toll End couple from 1861 and it would tie up all three of the different locations Caroline gave later.

Iain

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 June 15 09:30 BST (UK) »

Re. marriage to Brittain...Would it not have been Rowbotham?

Jackie.

p.s Re. Greybridge ...place of birth in 1911..poss. Gt. Bridge? Tipton area...

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ikennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 June 15 10:18 BST (UK) »

Re. marriage to Brittain...Would it not have been Rowbotham?

Jackie.

p.s Re. Greybridge ...place of birth in 1911..poss. Gt. Bridge? Tipton area...

Jackie
Hi, definitely says WILLIAMS widow yes, not ROWBOTHAM.

I think Great Bridge aka Greybridge is the same place mentioned above, I'm just trying to look at some old maps.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 June 15 11:14 BST (UK) »

1881 census I can see 4 candidates 3 living alone and one born c. 1861 Penkridge with ps Wm and Mary. The other three are born c 1862 Wolverhampton, 1864 Eccleshall and 1866 Ludlow.
1871 getting harder. I can only find one candidate b. c. 1863 Penkridge with ps Wm and Mary. residing West Bromich

The 1881 has another candidate I think, living at Private House 11 New Street, West Bromwich is a Caroline Williams aged 14 born Birmingham, with parents William (b Enville, Staffs, labourer in Ironworks) & Mary (b Brierley Hill). Also present are sisters Rachel Williams and Sarah Evans, who appears to have married William Evans 1878, Dudley.

What may be the same family is at 5 Golds Green, West Bromwich in 1871. Caroline is aged 5 and born Common Side, Staffs.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline ikennedy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 June 15 12:30 BST (UK) »
Jomot, can you tell me which transcription/site you were viewing for that 1871 census please? I used the Ancestry library edition the other day and I'm curious whether you've seen a better transcription.

Thanks

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 June 15 15:23 BST (UK) »
Common Side-Pensnett/Brierley Hill area.

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 June 15 16:01 BST (UK) »
Jomot, can you tell me which transcription/site you were viewing for that 1871 census please? I used the Ancestry library edition the other day and I'm curious whether you've seen a better transcription.

Thanks

Its on Ancestry.  RG10, Piece 2983, Folio 101, Page 2. 

The 1881, if you need it, is RG11/2849/23/39

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.