Author Topic: margaret tattersall  (Read 25954 times)

Offline Rowdy Jnr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
Re: margaret tattersall
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 July 05 10:01 BST (UK) »
It's great that you have photo's. I don't think there are any here maybe Nana has some in storage.

She is in a nursing home and has limited speach, will ask her next time I'm in Yorkshire.

Silly thing is I lived in and visited all the areas I am now researching but I moved to wiltshire in the south of the country 4 years ago. Which makes it difficult to go to the graveyards and records office's.

Did you know that there is a Pub in Elslack called The Tempest Arms.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Clark,Clarke,Kitson,Firth,Aked,Robinson,Senior,Towers,Heaton,Lee,Smith,Tattersal,Aldersley,Tempest,Priestley,Wood,Glaister and many more.

Bingley, Keighley,Haworth,Elslack,Carlton,Lothersdale,Skipton,Bradford, West Yorkshire.
Arkholme, Croston,Lancaster,Lancashire.
Longtown,Whitehaven,Carlisle,Cumberland.

Offline Artemis1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 July 05 21:38 BST (UK) »
David Smith is the bearded gent sitting. Are you interested in receiving photos? Please let me know. I found family members I had never heard of previously, just up and got copies of all the old photos I could locate. I am also interested in stories. I hope the previous photo came through all right.

Pam

Offline Artemis1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 30 July 05 22:09 BST (UK) »
David Smith Left the East India Docks, Gravesend, on the Shaw Saville ship the 'Matilda Wattenbach' (later renamed 'Racehorse') on  2 June 1862 arriving in Auckland on 8 September 1862. The Matilda was the first of the Albertlander immigrant ships to arrive in New Zealand.

Land allocation Ak Archives:LS-A 29 BAAZ 4115/1a
Special Settlement Land O.
WR Brame: Agent
No of landholder  Quantity Name           Grantee Dateof Endorsation Date arrived Ship
134                       40          David Smith J.M.C     9 Sep 1862              8 Sep 1862  Matilda Wattenbach
(signed by David Smith)
Land sale held at Oruawharo 21-22 October 1862

Ref Auckland Museum Library Weekly News 5 Oct 1872 page 23
Smith Sharpe on September 17 at Leverton Farm Albertland N.E. Mr David Smith, farmer, to Kate, second daughter of Nathan William Sharpe. Eng-Home papers please copy. Winesses were Nathan William Sharpe and S Dibble.

Ref HD 1051 A Return of the Freeholders of NZ October 1882 Smith, David, farmer, Wharahine, Rodney held 220 acres worth 335 pounds. His original acerage had been 80 acres, and this eventually grew to 450 acres.

David Smith served on the Roads Board Roney County 1910-1913

Ref NZPost\Wises\Cleaves directories
Diretories would indicate that Kate and David lived at Wharahine until they moved to Auckland shortly before David's death.

Ref NZPO\Cleaves\Wises directories and electoral rolls
1873-74 Wharahine, David Smith, farmer, electoral # 535, Port Albert, freehold Wharahine Port Albert 80 acres, part section 19.
1883-1884 Wharahine, David Smith, farmer
1885-1886 Wharahine, David Smith, farmer
1891 Wharahine, David Smith, farmer
1893 Wharahine, David Smith, farmer
1894 Wharahine, David Smith, farmer
1914 Richardson Road, Mt Albert (where he died)   
1915 Richardson Road, Mrs David Smith
1924 Smith Mrs Kate, Richardson Road, Mt Albert

ref "the Rock and the Sky' by H. Mabbett. David Smith donated the land for the first Wharahine school. It formed part of his original land, and was very steep. He was elected to the first official Wharahine Highway Board of 1871-2, then again in 1875-6 and to the triennial road board of 1889-92, then finally
to the 1910-13 board when he was in his seventies. It also confirms that David Came to New Zealand on the Matilda Wattenbach.

Ref 'The Rock and the Sky' by H Mabbett
Kate Sharp, Mrs David Smith, owned a Mule called Stoffel which she often rode to port. She and David were allocated a 80 acre farm which later formed part of Ian (Sam) Dodd's farm. At the time of publication of this book the old Smith farmhouse was still standing screened by a row of century old oak trees. According to this book they had 9 children:

(1) Tattersall (Tattie) married Sol Parkinson and lived in St Benedict St (AK)
(2) Frank Smith married Julia Brennan, was butcher at Wharahine and Port Albert
(3) Mary Smith married Harry Harrison of Auckland and moved away (I think Harry died early and Mary re-married)
(4) Kate Patience Smith (K.P.) married Waldo Smith and lived in Auckland, probably owning tearooms.
(5) William Thomas Kitching Smith who remained single, farming at Wharahine on part of his fathers land which had built up to about 450 acres. He was away for World War I.
(6) Robert Nathan Smith married Lilian Peach. He was also in World War I. He also farmed part of David's land. The couple had 2 children: Charles and Majory. Majory married Sydney White of Auckland and moved away. Charles married Verona May Salt of Birkenhead and with his 2 sons; Colin and Alan,    own and operated Smith Transport Ltd.
(7) Lucy Smith married one Peterson of Auckland and moved away.
(8) E.B.V. Smith (middle name Brunette-called Nettie) married one Fenner of Auckland and moved away.
(9) Charles became an engineer in Auckland.

The children went to school at Wharahine:

Offline Rowdy Jnr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 31 July 05 17:27 BST (UK) »
Keep the photo's and the info coming it's great to see what they look like finally.

Clark,Clarke,Kitson,Firth,Aked,Robinson,Senior,Towers,Heaton,Lee,Smith,Tattersal,Aldersley,Tempest,Priestley,Wood,Glaister and many more.

Bingley, Keighley,Haworth,Elslack,Carlton,Lothersdale,Skipton,Bradford, West Yorkshire.

Offline Rowdy Jnr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 31 July 05 17:28 BST (UK) »
Keep the photo's and the info coming it's great to see what they look like finally.

Offline Kress

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 August 05 06:23 BST (UK) »
Margaret Tattersall's youngest daughter Jane, married Dawson Smith in 1849 at Salem Chapel in Bradford. They are part of my family.
Dawson's mother is Susannah Aldersley.   regards   kress
Elliott-Warwickshire & Liverpool, Pearson- Wyke WRY, Seed - WRY,  Wainwright- Liverpool, Smith - Bradford WRY. Ackroyd - Bradford WRY & Blackpool, Kress - Wuertemberg. Schellenberg - Eng & Wuertemberg.

Offline Rowdy Jnr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 09:01 BST (UK) »
I kmow about Dawson Smith and Jane.

I have them as having 10 children, is this right!

I have some of the childrens marriages but not all.

Welcome to the family!!!!

They seem to have prospered.

Descendants everywhere!!!

Offline Kress

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Dawson's daughter, Mary Smith married a John Smith whose father was Francis Smith of Elslack. John born c1856 in Elslack died 24 December 1889, and Mary remarried.  Would this connect to the Francis Smith you are talking about?  I have 12 children for Dawson and maybe 13 as I cannot prove the 13th child as yet. There is a big headstone at Undercliff Cemetery for him.  Its nice to join a "family" .
Elliott-Warwickshire & Liverpool, Pearson- Wyke WRY, Seed - WRY,  Wainwright- Liverpool, Smith - Bradford WRY. Ackroyd - Bradford WRY & Blackpool, Kress - Wuertemberg. Schellenberg - Eng & Wuertemberg.

Offline Rowdy Jnr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 August 05 08:50 BST (UK) »
Thats deffinitely our Francis.

Francis was the Enumerator for Elslack on I think 1851 census. So you can have a look at his handwriting.

Francis Smith married Ann Tattersall on 18 sep 1837 Witnesses were Anthony Swire and Elizabeth Tattersall.

They had the following children:

Robert Smith 1839
David Smith Sep 1840 This is Pam's branch of the family(Artemis)
Elizabeth 1845
Margaret Patience Smith
Mary Smith 1849
Thomas 1851 This is my Branch of the family (Rowdy)
Jane 1854
John 1856
Frank 1859

Mariages for the Smith's

1 Robert / Nancy Kenyon Dec 1868 Skipton (4 children)

2 David / see Artemis's posts

3 Elizabeth/ Levi  Lee Dec 1874 Bradford (5 children)

4 Margaret Patience/ James Lesiter Savage June 1871 Bradford ( 6 Children)

5 Mary unknown

6 Thomas/ Rebbecca Romans (6 children) June 1872 Bradford

7 Jane/  George S Hollingdrake (6 children) Sep 1874 Bradford

8 John unknown

9 Frank unknown

The whole family moved to Bradford excluding David who dissapeared to New Zealand.

They were mostly butchers

Thomas Smith had a butchers shop on Bridge Street in Bradford. 103

William Francis Smith his son seems to have taken over the business as in 1919 his marriage cert states him as being a butcher living at 103 Bridge St.

I have some marriages for the children and most of the Parents and Ancestors, if you want more let me know.

But our Francis has to be your guy as he was the only Francis Smith living in Elslack at that time.

This is not my line of the family it's my children's and Husbands, I married in.

Helen