Author Topic: Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied (Part 2)  (Read 33568 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied (Part 2)
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 May 16 17:04 BST (UK) »
I would like Ancestry to have a system where only public tree holders have access to my public site and other public sites, after all fairs fair.

Restricting access to public trees for private tree owners or those, like me, who keep their research on their PC, isn't really going to work.  There would be nothing to stop anyone creating a tree with only a few people included and that would then give them access under your rules to all other public trees.

I agree with msr, its a bit rich suggesting that private tree owners only pilfer information from public trees and don't give anything back.  What needs to be remembered is that everyone pays for access to the records NOT for the free tree hosting facility which Ancestry uses to entice people to subscribe with their offer of free help through the hints system.

While I appreciate in an ideal world people would always ask permission to save items from public trees, in reality that isn't really going to happen and to be honest from talking to others, many don't seem to think that they need to anyway since the tree owner has made all the information available on a public tree for anyone to view.  Yes perhaps people should, but if you really are that bothered, don't make the information and media public in the first place.

Unfortunately the hard sell by Ancestry to create your tree on their site is partly to blame, as is the fact that by default every tree is public unless you actively change the setting.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 May 16 12:45 BST (UK) »
"I know this has happened as I published information that has taken hours at records offices to collate and know it is definitely unique, to see it gathered up into private sites is very, very disappointing."

How do you define "definitely unique" ? It is available to anyone who has spent hours in a record office, as most  serious or older researches have done. I started in 1974 and that was one of the only available resource's at the time.
 I do not class my information as unique, or come to that my family tree, I share ancestors with many many people. yes I have started to put my tree online- for the first time- it is private, and as an experiment I have only used info I have garnered from Ancestry,( not other peoples trees) needless to say I have not gotten as far back as my exclusive to me tree, on my home comp and tons of paperwork as lots of the older info came from other sources than Ancestry. 8)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Online Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 May 16 14:16 BST (UK) »
Private tree!
I put on Ancestry information which I want to share and do not mind other serious members benefiting from my research but do resent the selfish members who have private trees being able to pilfer that information, I would like Ancestry to have a system where only public tree holders have access to my public site and other public sites, after all fairs fair.
I know this has happened as I published information that has taken hours at records offices to collate and know it is definitely unique, to see it gathered up into private sites is very, very disappointing.

Sorry, I think you're being very, very harsh. There are numerous of reasons why people like to keep their own trees private. I have been a member of ancestry for years and do not have a tree on there, or anywhere online - BUT, and it is a big but.. my primary school aged son has his on line with ancestry, his own research (on my account of course) - and it is private. Are you calling me  selfish for not making a young child's tree/work public ?

If you would like to see  a certain person's (or people) private tree, why don't you send them a nice  *polite  message asking them can you have access(*ie DO NOT  call them selfish in your message whilst asking them for access)
 My opinion is that I think it's a an extremely selfish attitude to not to respect  other peoples own choices.

Kind regards

Ps I have the same photo in my family album that was handed down and I can tell you that's my gggg grandfather Pan Troglodytes! He was lovingly known as just Pan to us family - although he went by Sam on one census just so that he could hide from us  and  on another he went by Dave!( He was always monkeying about like that, he probably thought it was funny)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 June 18 08:22 BST (UK) »
 ;D I don't worry over whoever copies my photos.  I just don't like it when a photo which was originally mine, one I have maybe tidied up myself, added names to etc, or had tidied up in here, shows up on Ancestry about being " orginally shared by ""NOT ME ANYWAY"!

Anyone's name that's on the net will appear in a Google search anyway!  In fact, somebody looking in Rootschat could find out any number of things about our families, not just photographs.  Think about photo restorations, posts about crimes, families, convicts, criminals, anything!! Remember that we all divulge some pretty serious stuff on here! 

Modified to add - I just put my RC user name into Google images!  So many results, and loads of photos from other members on here.  I only typed the one word "Jaybelnz"  - and man, soo many photo's some up, most of them not mine!

Take a look, and Google your user name or your real name - you never know what you might find in there  ;D ;D

Just modified to add - a big number of Rootchatters photos came up!!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 08:54 BST (UK) »
Some of you will hate me. I standardise all my family photos in my Ancestry user tree by cropping them into a 200x200 image of their face and converting them into a greyscale image. If I find a photo shared by another user, I will download the photo and reupload it in the way that I described. My avatar is an example of this.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Ancestry's continuing actions of allowing access to private trees in any way shape or form, including photographs, is now in breach of the 25th May 2018 General Data Protection Regulations. After all, there site states (.co.uk)

Malky

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 10:09 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Ancestry's continuing actions of allowing access to private trees in any way shape or form, including photographs, is now in breach of the 25th May 2018 General Data Protection Regulations. After all, there site states (.co.uk)

Malky

But they are not allowing it "in any way shape or form" because my understanding is the error relates to access via searching through FTM and that is only a small subset of subscribers who use that software.  It is not possible to access through the website or Roots Magic.  The access through FTM is not good and I'm surprised they've not temporarily turned off the search facility in FTM to stop it happening.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
;D I don't worry over whoever copies my photos.  I just don't like it when a photo which was originally mine, one I have maybe tidied up myself, added names to etc, or had tidied up in here, shows up on Ancestry about being " orginally shared by ""NOT ME ANYWAY"!
If you own the copyright of a picture that has been uploaded by someone else and they have not asked your permission (I think this is what you are saying), then you can request Ancestry to remove it (evidence of copyright supplied of course) as detailed in their terms and conditions.

Simon

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 12:37 BST (UK) »
If I find a photo shared by another user, I will download the photo and reupload it in the way that I described. My avatar is an example of this.
Any photo uploaded by another User to their Public Tree or shared in any other way, can be used by any other User in their online Ancestry tree. This being the case, what do you actually acheive by doing this, the original is still available elsewhere. Strictly speaking, as you don't own the copyright, you shouldn't be uploading it anyway.

Simon