Author Topic: Bootle business in the 1960s  (Read 4342 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bootle business in the 1960s
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 08:56 BST (UK) »
You can see Bankhall Street on the 1954 1/1250 O.S. Plan at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/334165/393760/13/101329 41-43 is a warehouse, there are houses but they stop at No. 31, at Bramhall Lane.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 09:01 BST (UK) »
This is the building on Street View https://goo.gl/maps/QslP9

Stan

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
Maybe it's where he worked, rather than his residence. There's a different address on the Ford cemetery burial record: 33 Edinburgh Close. In the 1966 directory this is the address of Jas. Brinkley.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 11:02 BST (UK) »
In Kelly's Directory dated 1968 there is nothing down for that address in Bankhall Street, so it was probably empty or demolished.  This is the only copy I have.  An email query to Liverpool Archives might bring a reply - their copies are microfilmed and they MIGHT be willing to look up one year's edition.

A

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 11:19 BST (UK) »
There's nothing for 41 Bankhall Street in 1966 Kelly's either.

In 1938, numbers 41 and 43 were the premises of the Mersey Wharfage Company and there was a warehouseman resident there.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
The Bankhall Street address is south of the boundary line so is Liverpool rather than Bootle/Sefton.

Blue

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 11:56 BST (UK) »
It looks to be the site of offices, warehouse and wharf of the Leeds Liverpool canal company, although their head office was in pall mall it was damaged in Ww2.

Nationalised in 1948 it became pare of British waterways but commercial traffic continued until at least 1964, makes shaunj's post look a possibility, as a residence still in 1962.

Mike

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
so it was probably empty or demolished. 

It was not demolished.  No. 41 is the building in the street view at https://goo.gl/maps/QslP9 you can see it numbered 41 on the map at  https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/334147/393727/13/100765 so is the original warehouse.

Stan

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 15:32 BST (UK) »
I go to watch Everton FC and get off the train at Bankhall St and I have to agree with Mike / Mazi - and even now Bankhall street is mainly shops but there are still houses on Bankhall Street ...if you look on a map of 41 Bankhall St you will see those Warehouse are right adjacent to the Leeds Liverpool Canal -so they were probably built for storing goods coming off Barges originally - and then used by Road Haulage business Companies ..
and - for the record the longest unbroken pavement / kerb in Liverpool is Bankhall St Station / Bracenose Rd junction to Stanley Road / Melrose Rd ...there is no break in the pavement for nearly a mile - just a bit of useless info ....lol :)
I have looked for his birth but can only find one to match - and he was born in Athlone,Ireland oct/nov/dec/ 1905 ...is this him ??

Hi there, thanks for the reply,

Yes this is the chap - it appears the family moved from Ireland shortly after he was born to India, then came back without the father. James must have remained in the UK but the other family seemed to have moved back to Ireland.

Maybe it's where he worked, rather than his residence. There's a different address on the Ford cemetery burial record: 33 Edinburgh Close. In the 1966 directory this is the address of Jas. Brinkley.

Hi Shaun - thanks for your help - does it say what his profession is for the 1966 directory? I think this is defo my chap with his profession in 1938 being a tile maker, and the business being a tile warehouse.

I have managed to discover from the Bootle Times forum that no. 41 was a tile warehouse, and Mr Brinkley shows on the 1938 trade directory as a tile maker. I was concerned about the different address and because he switches from James Wiliam Patrick Anthony, to James William, to just James but it appears to be the same chap when tying everything up - thankfully!!
DUR; Stephenson, Wray, Collier, Lowther,Rothery
GLA; Jones, Allen, Holland, Nicholas,George,Lewis
ESS; Davey
W.Yorks; Martin, Hodgson, Tyler,Harrold
LAN; Dodd, Constable, Brinkley
Guernsey; Le Riche