Author Topic: How do I find out who owned land in Gattonside in 1826?  (Read 5759 times)

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find out who owned land in Gattonside in 1826?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 June 15 19:42 BST (UK) »

Sue, are you familiar with this site?
https://sites.google.com/site/mykeddiefamily/home

;D  That's my family website ! I just started putting it together a couple of months ago. Nice to know someone has been to visit  ;D ;D
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 June 15 20:57 BST (UK) »
Sue Did you know that there are several headstones in Melrose Abbey also Weirhill Cemetery Melrose for Gattonside Keddies. One noticable one is for a female Keddie marrying an Ormiston which I believe was Ormiston and Renwicks the gardeners and seed merchants in the high St Melrose for many years.Sadly the shop was sold a few years ago.If there is any specific ones I can look them up for you
alan
Ps there is also a Keddie on the Gattonside war memorial
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 June 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
Alan thank you very much for this, I appreciate the offer.

The Gattonside war memorial contains the name of James Keddie, son of George Young Keddie and Susan Ritchie who lived in Gattonside for most of their adult lives.  We came across it recently when we were visiting the Borders. George worked at Gattonside House just down the road.

We also visited Weirhill Cemetery (second time!) and have photos of all the Keddie gravestones - some that are nothing to do with me as well I think! We also visited graveyards in Galashiels, Selkirk, Hawick and Ancrum - I don't tell people what I do on my hols  ;D ;D

At the moment I don't have a link with any Ormistons - there are a lot of Keddies in the area that I think are cousins to my lot but I have never been able to link them up. If I find the link I'll certainly take you up on your offer as I don't know when I'll be back up there again.
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland