Author Topic: How do I find out who owned land in Gattonside in 1826?  (Read 5759 times)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find out who owned land in Gattonside in 1826?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 23:50 BST (UK) »
If you search SP Wills, ordered by year with Gattonside in the description box, it will give an idea of who lived there and when.  In 1864 Margaret Keddie, alias Marr died there. Although not answering your question directly, this process may help to give a better feel for the place

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 07:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that. Will take a look at the Wills. I guess Margaret was probably related/married to the William who is there. Just hoping to find enough info to link them to my earliest Keddie and enough info to take another step back beyond 1820!
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 09:47 BST (UK) »
In 1821 a John Keddie and Margaret Carter, "both residing in this parish", were married at Melrose.

I know of a Jane Kedie or Keddie who married into my Welsh family in Roxburghshire. She died in 1870 aged 59 and was the daughter of John Keddie, baker, and Mary Andison.

Harry

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
If they were land owners rather than tenants then you'd need to look at the Register of Sasines.

More details on these here:

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/sasines

S_L

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 13:40 BST (UK) »
Valuation rolls don't begin until 1855, so a bit too late.  However, there are Land Tax Rolls on the Scotland's Places website (www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk), though you may need a subscription to see them.  There's one for 1813 which might be of interest!

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
In 1821 a John Keddie and Margaret Carter, "both residing in this parish", were married at Melrose.

I know of a Jane Kedie or Keddie who married into my Welsh family in Roxburghshire. She died in 1870 aged 59 and was the daughter of John Keddie, baker, and Mary Andison.

Harry

You might be about to make me cry Harry - for 20 years I've been searching for a John Keddie married to a JANET Andison, who was the father of James Keddie b 1821. I've never found anything on the two although there are a couple of John Keddie possibilities. My John Keddie was a farm servant though, not a baker. Who knows though, we may have a connection up there!

If they were land owners rather than tenants then you'd need to look at the Register of Sasines.

More details on these here:

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/sasines

S_L

Thank you S_L - I am pretty sure that they were all tenants at that time, although some did become land owners later. Not many though. I'll have a look though, if for no reason other than I've never seen it before  :)

...there are Land Tax Rolls on the Scotland's Places website (www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk), though you may need a subscription to see them.  There's one for 1813 which might be of interest!

Thanks Archivos - I have credits on SP anyway as I use it quite a lot, but mainly for census/BMD. Still very unfamiliar with all the bits related to land but I have a feeling I might be a lot more familiar in a few months time  ;D The reason I never look at them is because I think they're all about owning land, but of course they have a lot of information about tenants too. Never occurred to me before  :-[ Will check out the Land Tax Rolls
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
I've just done a quick check on Scotlandspeople and in 1829 a John Keddie died at Gattonside, Melrose, aged 72. He had been a "tidewaiter", which is an official of the Customs & Excise service.

In the 1851 census a John Keddie, 66, agricultural labourer, born in England, unmarried, is living in Morebattle in Roxburghshire with his unmarried sister Janet Keddie, 80, unmarried, born Morebattle. I bet there were some arguments in that household. (I'm thinking of trying to live with my unmarried sister who is 7 years older than me - it wouldn't work!).

Harry

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
Also from SP, looks like the same man as in 1851 census:

John Keddie born 1783 died 1856 Morebattle
John Keddie residing in Morebattle, 11 page Will

Sue, are you familiar with this site?
https://sites.google.com/site/mykeddiefamily/home

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 June 15 10:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Archivos - I have credits on SP anyway as I use it quite a lot, but mainly for census/BMD. Still very unfamiliar with all the bits related to land but I have a feeling I might be a lot more familiar in a few months time  ;D The reason I never look at them is because I think they're all about owning land, but of course they have a lot of information about tenants too. Never occurred to me before  :-[ Will check out the Land Tax Rolls
No problem - good luck!