Author Topic: The Cottage Clyde Bank or Foulmires/Foulmyres Farm just east of Strathaven  (Read 13174 times)

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Cottage Clyde Bank or Foulmires/Foulmyres Farm just east of Strathaven
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 June 15 16:44 BST (UK) »
NZp,
Nipped down to local library and looked at 1871 & 1881 census for Old (west) Kilpatrick 501.

1871 Enumerator 6 :-
"So much of the Parish of Old Kilpatrick as lies between East and West Balquhanran's and Yoker Burn the Eastern boundary of the Parish comprising Brick House, Whitecrook Chemical Works Gate Keeper's House East and West Kilbowie, Braidfield, Nappers, Cleddans, Collier Row, Cohabi....? and Chapelyard".
The microfilm was not easy to read so the puntuation was difficult to note.
Schedule 1 - Balquhanran Farm
              2 - Stoneylane ?
              3 -        "
              4 - Canalbank
              5 -         "
              6 - Brickhouse Farm
              7 - Canal House Yoker !!??
              8 - Barns of Clyde (Rob't Paterson farmer of 90 acres)
              9 - Ash Villa
             10 - Village of Yoker (East Barns of Clyde)

1881 Enumerator 7 :-
" So much of the Quoad Sacra Parish of St.James, Clydebank, part of the Parish and School Board District of Old Kilpatrick, as lies between the west end of Clydebank Terrace and the Cottage, including the Shipyard, the whole south side of Clydebank Village, Sleeping Bothies, Canal Manager's House, West Barns of Clyde Farm and ending with Clydebank Cottage".
Schedule 1 - The Cottage, Clydebank, Dumbarton Road
              2 -           "               "            "    (Rob't Paterson farmer 100acres emp 3men 2women)
              3 - Canal Cottage
              4 - Dormitor ?
              5 - House of Stone ? Clydebank
              6 - ClydeBank Terrace No.4
              7 -         "             "       "

I am sure that Robert was farming at West Barns of Clyde and probably living in the Farm house.
If you have birth certificate details of any of his children this might confirm the location.
A 6 inch scale map might give clearer details of these locations.
Hope this helps.
jcmac   

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 June 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
NZp,
A little more on the map links ( http://maps.nls.uk/counties ) and if you choose County Maps of Scotland, Dumbarton/Dunbartonshire (Old Kilpatrick) 6" or 25" 1st.Editition OS maps you will get a feel of how it was in the mid-1800's before shipbuilding and engineering took over.
jcmac.

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 June 15 23:24 BST (UK) »
 :) :)
jcmac you are a treasure!

I will have a hunt to see if I can find this information.  I'm not yet sure how to do this but will go and visit our library to see if the researchers can help.  Thank you so much.    My Sister in Law did visit a property many years ago which was believed to have been where our Patersons lived.  If only she still had this address we would be clear about this. Thank you thank you.

I have  had a good look at maps and sure do have a 'feel' of what the land was like back then.  Im not sure exactly which map could show 'The cottage' ( or farm house they lived in- but will work on that).  Thanks for the links.
Paterson, Wallace, Hamilton. (Scotland- England)
Richards,Richardson,  Schrieber, McIntyre (English/ Switzerland-Germany/ Scotland - Barra)
Bailey,Parry, Harpur, Neilson, Johansen, (English/Welsh/Danish/ Norwegian)

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 June 15 02:27 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)
jcmac, yes this does help.  wow.  I hope to figure out these maps now.   :) :)

I do have a birth certificate for John Paterson (my husbands grandfather)
Number 218, John Paterson 1874 3rd October 2h a.m.
West Barns of Clyde, Old Kilpatrick
Extracted from the parish of Old Kilpatrick in the county of Dumbarton for the year 1874

It is also a hope that we will over time be able to find cousins as John had brothers, Robert, James, Samuel and sisters, Jane and Lillias.  We believe that Samuel and the sisters did not marry.  But hope to find more about these other brothers.  We think they moved to England and I have some photos which are treasures.  I will upload them when I can make their file size small enough. 

How fabulous to have help from the expertise of a 'local'.  Thank you so much.

Richards,Richardson,  Schrieber, McIntyre (English/ Switzerland-Germany/ Scotland - Barra)

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 June 15 02:47 BST (UK) »
jcmac

I also see on this map   http://maps.nls.uk/view/75498558
 Thirdpart.  I think this is another farm they worked on :-)

These maps are so helpful! :-)

I have also been given.... Robert & Ann were shown on the 1871 Census as he being an arable farmer and the family living at West Barns of Clyde farm just north of Yoker, west of Glasgow. This farm no longer exists as was ploughed under in the 1950s to make way for the Drumchapel housing development.

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 June 15 05:21 BST (UK) »
Some photos to share...

oh bother.. they are still too big to upload.  I will try again

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 June 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
NZp,
From the census descriptions of 1871 and 1881, the individual (schedule) family locations identified and the 1874 birth location, I am 99.9% certain that they farmed Barns of Clyde West which is clearly marked on the 6" and 25" maps. If you Google Map the location to street view (Cart Street/ Atlas Street, Clydebank area) you will see the modern housing which now covers the area of the farm house and buildings.
Thirdpart Farm and East Barns of Clyde farms would be adjacent to the village of Yoker.
I think Thirdpart Crescent is all that remains in "memory" of the old farm at the present boundary of Glasgow and Clydebank. Yoker Burn still exists and discharges into the R.Clyde but most,if not all, has been piped below ground surface level.
Drumchapel was a new build post-war housing area to replace many of the old tenements across Glasgow and is on the northwest of the city below the Kilpatrick Hills. I would be surprised if any of the 100 acres of BofC West farm reached that far.
I had a quick look at Clydebank Library web site for photographs but didn't see any obvious one for West BofC. You might want to try a search or e-mail to Clydebank Library or Dumbarton Library or even the Mitchell Library Glasgow to see if there is any photographs or postcards of the area from the late 1800's which give a flavour of the location.
jcmac

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 June 15 23:33 BST (UK) »
More photos

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 June 15 23:38 BST (UK) »
jcmac,
Thank you ever so much!
your local knowledge is a treasure and we appreciate you sharing your time and knowledge with us.  We are closer to having an understanding of life and times for our family.   :) :) :)