Author Topic: census entry, father of head of family  (Read 2218 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
census entry, father of head of family
« on: Friday 12 June 15 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This is a 1871 census entry for John Westcott from Bishops Lydeard, a police constable living in Beckington.

John Westcott  27
Mary Westcott  28

I have a question concerning this person, whom may or may not be related to me. Looking at the baptisms, there is a John Westcott born in 1843 and 1844, born to a James and Isaac Westcott.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NXJ4-FVV

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NYZL-NLZ

My question is, is this John the son of Issac or James? The year of birth is given as 1844, which is close to 1843, given to John, son of James, whose birth is actually 1842 and we know that the census is largely inaccurate by a few years due to it being based on error of human knowledge.

thanks

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: census entry, father of head of family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 June 15 16:37 BST (UK) »
There are 7 John Wescott birth registrations in Somerset, between 1842 and 1845!

Strikes me that you have 2 of them?!

Bishop's Lydeard comes under the Taunton Registration District.

That leaves (from FreeBMD):
September qtr 1844   and
September qtr 1845
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 15 17:50 BST (UK) »
This looks like their marriage, the others would make him far too young to marry at 15

Marriages Jun 1866 

Moore  Mary     Taunton  5c 599   
Westcott  John   

Offline Peewee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 15 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if I could inject a new thread of thought into your research. In addition to the 2 John Westcott’s you have identified, I cannot see why you have discounted a further John Westcott who was baptised in Bishops Lydeard on 11th August 1845 to parents of William and Mary.
In 1851, he is living with his parents in Mill Lane, Bishops Lydeard with the head of the household being his paternal grandfather Joel Westcott. Joel was a former military man and a Chelsea pensioner.
I cannot link this John to the one who became a policeman in and around Frome a few decades later. As you say, these Westcott’s never stated their correct ages in the censuses. I notice that policeman John had a wife named Mary who in later censuses stated that she came from Langford Budville. This village has a number of families with the surname Crowcombe and I located a marriage between a Mary Crowcombe to a John Westcott in 1866 (Wellington 5c 531). If this is the correct marriage a copy of the marriage certificate would give John’s father’s name and maybe you will be able to tie this to James or Isaac or William who had their children baptised in Bishops Lydeard. Just a thought.
I have a particular interest in Bishops Lydeard as I was baptised in the same font as you potential ancestors and grew up there in the 1950’s. Also, a lady in New Mexico, USA who was a Westcott descendent from Bishops Lydeard sought my help last year. Her Westcott’s were not related to yours

Peewee
Watts  - Middx, Bethnal Green, Romford Essex
Palmer  - Nether and Over Stowey Somerset
Symons- Bishops Hull, Taunton, Bishops Lydeard all in Somerset
Coles - Somerset
Loddy - Pimlico London , Devonport
Le May - Bethnal Green, London

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 15 20:09 BST (UK) »
thank you

I actually came across the Bishops Lydeard parish registers online yesterday and I did find the William you mentioned.

The marriage certificate will confirm which of the three men are his father.

If it isn't James, then he is not related to me.

Interesting to learn that Joel is a Chelsea pensioner, their oldest pensioner was 117 when he died and was a veteran of the English Civil War of 1649.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 August 15 11:26 BST (UK) »
you need to get someone to have a look for these 2 Johns marriage entries as that will give their fathers names but the trouble is its still going to take some sorting out

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin