Author Topic: What's My Next Step in looking for Isabella Wright?  (Read 12902 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What's My Next Step?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 June 15 10:07 BST (UK) »
It may be that the family couldn't afford to record the baptism of the first child/children.  The baptism was free but you had to pay for it to go in the book.  It was quite common for poorer families not to record a baptism; food and a roof came first!  Sometimes they paid for a back-dated job lot of all the children when their circumstances improved.  It may be that she was added on when Campbell was baptised and the transcriber missed it or they may not have done it at all.  I read somewhere that about a third of all births pre-1855 are not in the OPRs so have no written record.

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
  • Building on my mothers lifes work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 June 15 10:11 BST (UK) »
Are there any other sort of records that would show the family together?  There aren't any census' prior to 1841 correct?  And by 1851 she was married and out of the country.  What other options if any do I have to prove Isabella Wright Mains connection to William Wright and Isabella Leckie (other than she did give the name Leckie to several of her children)
Moore, Craig, Donnelly, Boyd, Johnston, Butterworth, Hayes, Orr, Brierley, Heather

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 June 15 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

What about this 1841 census Barony Thomsen Lane
William Wright 45 b Lanarkshire
Isabella Wright 35 b Scotland
Isabella Wright 15 b Lanarkshire
Campbell Wright 15 b Lanarkshire
Mary Wright 10 b Scotland
William Wright 10 b Scotland
Joanna Wright 5 b Scotland
Archd Wright 4 b Scotland

William

If you go onto Freecen, Isabella Wright and bring up the Barony one William has quoted, there is another name at the bottom of the record:

Leckie Campbell - M- 75 - Sheriff Officer - Outside Census County 1841.

Her father?

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 June 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
For sure!  And thank you - I've never been on freecen before.

I still need to prove that that Isabella (15 in 1841) became my Isabella Wright Main...
Moore, Craig, Donnelly, Boyd, Johnston, Butterworth, Hayes, Orr, Brierley, Heather

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 June 15 10:44 BST (UK) »
This might be a tad pricey, but the only thing I can suggest is that one or more of Isabella's siblings might have been a witness on the birth of one or more of her children, ideally Campbell Leckie Wright!  Could turn out to be a waste of money but who knows...

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 June 15 10:59 BST (UK) »
That's a great idea (assuming these particular birth records have witnesses!)

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 June 15 11:17 BST (UK) »
THAT WORKED!

Alexander Duncan Main b to Isabella Wright and Alexander Main

Witnesses - Campbell Wright and Alexander Duncan.

Now the question is, who is Alexander Duncan?

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 13 June 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
Marriage records are also worth a look. Campbell Leckie Wright seems to have married Agnes Dunn in 1847. He also seems to have left a will (died 1909). The free wills index on Scotland's People is quite easy to forget about but can be useful.

To curb possible expense of looking up loads of OPRs etc if you are in Scotland have you considered a visit to the Scotland's People centre or one of the hubs?

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 June 15 11:42 BST (UK) »
I literally just moved here, so I actually had no idea about it!  I only found out about the Scotland's People website yesterday. For sure I'll be making a trip or two to one of the centres. My tree is full of Scots!