Author Topic: Dr John Wright. Bailieborough  (Read 4786 times)

Offline SSlh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dr John Wright. Bailieborough
« on: Saturday 13 June 15 13:50 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Dr John Wright who died on the 14th March 1823 in Bailieborough.He was said to "descend from an ancient family of that name from County Monaghan".
He had a daughter Jane Wright who married the Rev James Gibson about 1798. Jane's husband was licensed to the 1st Monaghan Presbyterian Church until they ( with their first son John Gibson) moved to Lislooney Presbyterian Church in Armagh where he was ordained in 1801.
My thoughts are that this church he was licensed to, might have been the church my Wright family attended. Maybe they were married there?
Have been looking for information on my Wright family for many years, to no avail.
Would love to find some information on him.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dr John Wright. Bailieborough
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 15 14:39 BST (UK) »
Ah.. so Presbyterian.

Any reason for starting a completely new thread on him?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 15 15:08 BST (UK) »
JACOBUS GIBSON Filius Natu Maximus Alexandri Agricolae in parochia de Knockbiide Comitatu de Cavan in
Hybernia   M.A. 1797. Possibly James Gibson, I.P. Minister at Lislooney, 1801-34, who then resigned "through infirmity," but survived other 32 years, dying in December, 1866.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 June 15 15:21 BST (UK) »

My thoughts are that this church he was licensed to, might have been the church my Wright family attended. Maybe they were married there?

According to the information in the PRONI church records catalogue, the earliest baptism and marriage records for 1st Monaghan Presbyterian church start in 1821 and for Lislooney in 1836 (baptisms) and 1845 (marriages). Presbyterian churches generally don’t have burial records.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 June 15 16:03 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if there's some confusion here regarding Rev. James Gibson?

According to A History of Congregations in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland 1610-1982...

LISLOONEY- "Mr. James Gibson (lic. Monaghan 1798), ordained on 5 Aug.1801, restored the balance somewhat and only retired because of ill-health in 1834."

This means he was licenced by Monaghan Presbytery. Going then to First Monaghan (where you said he was licenced)- Mr. Matthew Trimble was minister from 1776 until he retired after 42 years and there's no mention of James Gibson. Also no further mention of James Gibson taking on another church.

There's a discussion about Dr. John Wright, Rev. James Gibson, etc. on this thread from 2014-
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/IRL-MONAGHAN/2014-05/1399886993
Googling james gibson & 1st monaghan presbyterian church finds lots more copying adding to the confusion.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 June 15 16:43 BST (UK) »
Yes it's all over the shop and what's been posted here has all been posted before.

Offline SSlh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 June 15 01:17 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry for the confusion! I am new to this website and still finding my way around!
Information I have about the Rev James Gibson is in the book "Shepherding the Flock" by Dr L T Brown , page 52.
The rest of the information I have is from a letter written by the Rev James Gibson in 1856 .
Thank you so much for all your contributions. I am grateful to each of you.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 June 15 09:10 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if there's some confusion here regarding Rev. James Gibson?

According to A History of Congregations in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland 1610-1982...

LISLOONEY- "Mr. James Gibson (lic. Monaghan 1798), ordained on 5 Aug.1801, restored the balance somewhat and only retired because of ill-health in 1834."

This means he was licenced by Monaghan Presbytery. Going then to First Monaghan (where you said he was licenced)- Mr. Matthew Trimble was minister from 1776 until he retired after 42 years and there's no mention of James Gibson. Also no further mention of James Gibson taking on another church.

There's a discussion about Dr. John Wright, Rev. James Gibson, etc. on this thread from 2014-
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/IRL-MONAGHAN/2014-05/1399886993
Googling james gibson & 1st monaghan presbyterian church finds lots more copying adding to the confusion.

I got......James Gibson, I.P. Minister at Lislooney, 1801-34,
who then resigned "through infirmity," but survived other 32 years, dying in December, 1866.

So he might not have been at 1st Mon after 1801.

There is an 1821 Church Census for 1st Mon on JSTOR which anyone can join for free.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 June 15 09:24 BST (UK) »
He's not listed as being minister in First Monaghan at all- he was licenced by the Monaghan Presbytery. His first charge was Lislooney according to Presbyterian records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!