Author Topic: Catherine LEARY convict 1840  (Read 4679 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine LEARY convict 1840
« on: Monday 15 June 15 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
   I was hoping someone could help me please with the above convict who was convicted on the 21st of October 1839 at the Surrey Quarter sessions.  I'm hoping to find mention of this in the local paper if possible.  She was apparently a widow with three children, I'm trying to find out what happened to her hubby and the three kids when she was sent here to NSW.  She arrived on the "Surry" in 1840, she may have been in Milbank Prison as well before transportation.

She was 32 on arrival here born 1808 Co. Cork Ireland a widow with 2 male children and 1 female.

Any help on finding any information on Catherine and family is very much appreciated.  Kindest regards Dianna from Sydney Aus

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine LEARY convict 1840
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 June 15 12:27 BST (UK) »
Is she the Catherine Leary who married Daniel Walton on 30 Aug 1842 Port Macquarie, New South Wales? She was aged

She was apparently a widow with three children, I'm trying to find out what happened to her hubby and the three kid

If she really was a widow, the children may have been sent to the workhouse. Have you any idea of their names or place of birth?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 June 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
A few tree's on Ancestry with this lady also a picture of her one son mentioned Patrick Leary

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 June 15 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for your reply, well if she is actually a widow or not I'm not really sure at the moment.

Yes she did marry Daniel Walton in 1842 in Port Macquarie NSW.  Just trying to collate more on her at the moment.

Ok the workhouse maybe a starting point for the children, first names unknown!!!  Looks like another difficult lot of research.  She had 5 children to Daniel Walton I can only find 4 Registered though.  Many thanks Kind regards Dianna

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 June 15 22:02 BST (UK) »
The problem is that all the information is going to be pre birth/ marriage/ death registration and pre census. It says on her convict record that she was born County Cork, but of course if she was married we don't know her maiden name. Difficult one. Do you have her death certificate, does that give any more information as I know that some Australian ones give parents' names don't they? 

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 June 15 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again I have not ordered her death certificate as yet.  Sometimes parents are given on death certs but as she is a convict they seem to be missing on hers, but all certificates are good to have I think.

Yes I was hoping that there were some old parish records for the Surrey area to find Possible births of children to Catherine Leary, now if she was married in Ireland or not I do not know.

I was hoping that at least one of the children were born in England after civil registration which is 1837 is that correct.  If she was by herself she may have been "widowed" close to this time frame as she was charged for stealing in 1839.  Of course I would like to see if the kids were in the workhouse there anywhere.  I will just have to go through the online Free BDM and Free Census, maybe the children will turn up on the 1841 census if they did not come here of course.  Can't see any evidence that they came here BUT who knows.

Also I would like to find any mention of her in the paper when she was tried arrested as this may lead somewhere and possibly Millbank Prison records or Newgate.  Many thanks Dianna

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 15 22:28 BST (UK) »
Just looked - there are about 308 Leary children born between 1837 and 1839 in Surrey.  ::)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 June 15 22:49 BST (UK) »
Blimey This is going to be difficult I see.  Okay perhaps I will email the Surrey library to see if they can locate anything in the newspaper re Catherines trial, sometimes snippets are mentioned that could help.  Will ask them to check workhouse records too.  Thanks for doing that though very much appreciated.  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 07:43 BST (UK) »
Just found a possible marriage of a Timothy LEARY to a Catherine SANDS

1827     Marriage to Timothy Leary
18 Nov
St Mary Newington, Surrey, England
First husband of Catherine Sands.

Not sure if this is her or not but it's a start.  Regards Dianna