Author Topic: Thomas Campbell & Helen Muir of Kilmaurs - Parish Records of Birth?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline watersidejim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Campbell & Helen Muir of Kilmaurs - Parish Records of Birth?
« on: Monday 15 June 15 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thomas Campbell & Helen Muir of Kilmaurs - Parish Records of Birth?

My Great x3 Grandparents, Thomas Kennedy Campbell and Helen Muirs, had a son also named Thomas Kennedy Campbell born 22 Nov 1799, baptised 22 June 1800 at Kilmaurs Ayrshire. I have an image of the Parish Record from Scotland's People. Father Thomas is named as an Officer of Excise.
Family Search also has this record but no other children of Thomas & Helen. Thomas Junior is found on the 1841,51, 61 & 71 Censuses living at Maryhill Glasgow. His first wife was a Grace Smith married 1828 in Eaglesham, she died in 1857. In 1859 Thomas married a Janet McKenzie McEwan. A copy of the statutory wedding certificate states that he was the son of Thomas Campbell a deceased Exciseman and Helen Muir deceased. So I believe that I have a reliable record of the life of Thomas Junior.

My problem is finding out more about Thomas senior and Helen. I cannot find any record of a marriage - maybe they never married.
The IGI (film no 457728) has a genealogical record of the birth of Thomas Junior. Mother named as Helen Muir, birth about 1777 Kilmaurs; father Thomas Campbell, birth about 1773 Kilmaurs. I don't know where the person who submitted this got the information on the dates & place of birth of Thomas's parents.
Perhaps someone knows where or if I can find Kilmaurs Parish records of births in the 1770s? There are births on Family Search and Scotland's People which may fit, but none are very likely.
Thanks for your help.
Andrew Crawford; David McGraddie

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Campbell & Helen Muir of Kilmaurs - Parish Records of Birth?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 November 15 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a possibility that you might find them in the other congregation in Kilmaurs of that period. From my notes (and I found some Bankhead ancestors in the document)

"The United Presbyterian Church was formed in 1847 by the Union of the United Associate Synod and the Relief Church.  The Associate Synods were the result of the major secession in 1733 and the session minutes of the Associate Congregation in Kilmaurs start on December 8th 1740."

Notes of the odd marriage and baptism are scattered throughout the minutes. These are held in the National Records of Scotland. Unfortunately I don't have the actual catalogue reference to hand as I type but you should find it easily enough on the online catalogue. You just have to trawl through the minutes and there is no guarantee of success, something to bear in mind if you employ a researcher. There is also a signed list of subscribers to the National Covenant of 1756. You could be lucky enough to find an ancestor's actual signature

Regards

Matt

Offline watersidejim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Campbell & Helen Muir of Kilmaurs - Parish Records of Birth?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 December 15 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Matt

I have found the Catalogue, ref CH3/193 on the National Records site. If I get to Edinburgh some time I'll do as you suggest and have a trawl through

Best wishes
Jim
Andrew Crawford; David McGraddie