Author Topic: Is there a site for Berkshire baptisms?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is there a site for Berkshire baptisms?
« on: Tuesday 16 June 15 08:56 BST (UK) »
In our family I think we have at least three brothers from Yorkshire who were with the 2nd Regiment of Life Guards from the 1840s.   They were James, George and William Rider, from Holbeck near Leeds.  I've also found a Frederick Rider, a Trooper, whom is a little younger and possibly he is related. 

Army records from 1861 state that James (wife was Maria Dean, married at St Peters in Leeds) and George (married Sarah Oliver in Westminster) had been based at Hyde Park and Windsor.  William (who married Catherine Hussey at Old Church, St Pancras) had died by then.  Based on the marriage, baptism, census and birth records I've found so far that they moved around between Regents Park (St Pancras), Hyde Park (Knightsbridge) and New Windsor/Clewer.

Is there a good resource for baptisms for Berkshire?  If they're on the "A" site that's fine and I can access that but not from home.  For one brother in particular, William, who retired early with TB and died in 1860  I haven't yet found the baptisms for any of the children that I currently am aware of.  There is a Berkshire born William Hussey Rider in the Birth Index that seems very likely to be his son (William's wife was Catherine Hussey).  William Hussey Rider's life was very was short (less than 2 years), and it didn't span a census.

Thank you.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a site for Berkshire baptisms?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 09:18 BST (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 16:27 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has decent (70%ish) coverage pre-1837.

Findmypast has the Berks FHS christenings - coverage is growing and includes post-1837.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline melodiustenor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 11:23 GMT (UK) »
In our family I think we have at least three brothers from Yorkshire who were with the 2nd Regiment of Life Guards from the 1840s.   They were James, George and William Rider, from Holbeck near Leeds.  I've also found a Frederick Rider, a Trooper, whom is a little younger and possibly he is related. 

Army records from 1861 state that James (wife was Maria Dean, married at St Peters in Leeds) and George (married Sarah Oliver in Westminster) had been based at Hyde Park and Windsor.  William (who married Catherine Hussey at Old Church, St Pancras) had died by then.  Based on the marriage, baptism, census and birth records I've found so far that they moved around between Regents Park (St Pancras), Hyde Park (Knightsbridge) and New Windsor/Clewer.

Is there a good resource for baptisms for Berkshire?  If they're on the "A" site that's fine and I can access that but not from home.  For one brother in particular, William, who retired early with TB and died in 1860  I haven't yet found the baptisms for any of the children that I currently am aware of.  There is a Berkshire born William Hussey Rider in the Birth Index that seems very likely to be his son (William's wife was Catherine Hussey).  William Hussey Rider's life was very was short (less than 2 years), and it didn't span a census.

Thank you.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with this. William Gray Rider (the one who had TB and died in 1860) was my husband's great great grandfather on his mother's side. His daughter Catherine Sarah Rider emigrated to New Zealand in 1872.