Author Topic: Presbyterian burial records  (Read 7131 times)

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Presbyterian burial records
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 June 15 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine,

I can't think of one, and I certainly have no Presbyterian records of burials apart from members of a congregation who have been buried in a parish cemetery and the Presbyterian minister has made a note in the register.

In this area it is always worth checking the Scottish border parishes at Coldstream, Mordington, Ladykirk, Yetholm etc. as they were often closer to get to than the local parish church.

There are also a few isolated burial grounds which I don't think have been recorded. There is at Mindrum, and one just inside the main entrance gates of Lilburn Tower. There is also one on the road between East Learmouth and Carham which I once tried to get into over the wall and make some notes, but it is very overgrown and most of the stones are flat - on their fronts, of course!

Myra

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 June 15 22:48 BST (UK) »
This hobby has often had me climbing the walls - but never literally  ;D

I read somewhere that when a gravestone becomes unstable it is the responsibility of the family to fix it.  If no-one comes forward to do so then they have to make the stone safe by pushing it over onto the grave - which means it will always be on its front  :(

I digress - this isn't helping Hat.

Hat, if you care to give me the name of the lady I can look at the burial records of the most probable churches, if you would like me to.

Christine

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 June 15 07:49 BST (UK) »
I have a fiche with MI's from, the Presby churches at Kielder and Falstone but they are more recent-late 1890's and up

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 June 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
If you could have a look at likely churches for the burial that would be great c-side  :) I was concentrating on her husband & son when I managed to get to Woodhorn last year and it will be a while before I can get there again as I'm at wrong end of the country  :-\

Elisabeth Waugh died sometime between 1827 and 1832

her maiden name was Davison (born prob. 1787 Ilderton) she was married to a Ralph Waugh (of Alnham) at Ilderton in 1806 and had a son also Ralph about 1827.  The year is only an estimate as I've never found her son's baptism record nor for any other children. Ralph remarried to a Jane Mole in 1832 at Eglingham (when he's noted as widower and both are of East Lilburn).  This couple then turn up with son Ralph and a daughter Elizabeth (born 1835 baptised at United Presbyterian, Cheviot Street, Wooler as "Bessy" Waugh) on 1841 census at North Middleton then at 1851 at Reaveley.  The ages given for Ralph & Jane are completely screwy  on these censuses (based on Ralph's death certificate of 1855 when he was 76) and on 1851 one they wrote down "Sarah" then scratched it out and wrote Jane.  The ages for the children match correctly though.  My late uncle bashed away at this for quite a while and having spent a lot of time checking and rechecking I'm as sure as can be that these two censuses are actually the same & right family.
Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 June 15 21:07 BST (UK) »
I'll have a look around for her next Wednesday.

As for ages not fitting - don't forget that the 1841 census rounds adult ages down to the nearest 5 and death certificates are notorious for having incorrect ages as they rely on the knowledge of the person notifying the death.

Will let you know what I find at Woodhorn

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 23:40 BST (UK) »
No luck so far, I'm afraid but here are the places where she isn't buried  :-\

Ingram, Ilderton (I know these are covered on freereg but they were on the same microfilm as Ingram so it was worth a look), Whittingham, Eglingham and Alnham.

I searched from 1820 to 1832 on each parish.

I had a quick look at the index of MIs and there are some for Mindrum - wondering whether this is the little cemetery mentioned by Jora.  Didn't have time to look at the fiche for that one.

The net will have to be cast wider.

Christine

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 July 15 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to look Christine, is very much appreciated.  Given how little success I've had in trying to track down baptism for her son Ralph Waugh I am not too surprised Elisabeth's burial is also proving pretty evasive :-\

Thinking about places, it looks then maybe closer to Wooler might be direction ? ...purely based on that being where son Ralph says he was born abt 1827 on later censuses.  Not having found his baptism I have named this the "Wooler triangle" into which the whole Waugh family history seems to have disappeared  ::)

Pete
Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 July 15 19:31 BST (UK) »
I certainly think that moving north rather than south would be your best bet - into the Presbyterian heartlands.  Perhaps finding Ralph would be a good start as she seems to have died not too long after his birth.

Still happy to look up anything which isn't available elsewhere  :)

Christine

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 July 15 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Hatofthecat,
I believe there was a old burial ground at Branton near Powburn where there was a Presbyterian church but I don,t think any burial records have survived. My 2x grt grandfather died at Lilburn in the parish of Eglingham but as Wooler was nearer he was buried at Wooler. Have you tried burial register for Wooler. Another significant Presbyterian Chruch was nearer the border at Crookham. It could seat over 1000 congregation. All the baptism records have been transcribed, indexed and are available on microfiche r from Berwick Record Office. I have found several of my ancestors on these even if they lived near Crookham for a short while.

You will get helpful advice from Berwick Record Office if you ring them open Wed/Thur only as the archivist has extensive knowledge of places and likely sources in North Northumberland.

Val
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)