Author Topic: European in Bannu (North-West Frontier, Pakistan), 1930's  (Read 985 times)

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
European in Bannu (North-West Frontier, Pakistan), 1930's
« on: Saturday 20 June 15 21:48 BST (UK) »
This is perhaps more of a geography/history question than a genealogical one.
I have for a long time been trying to find out what happened to Emile Gaston Burridge Chinal, born in Calcutta in 1879 to a family of French origin but long-standing residents in India.
He is not a direct blood ancestor of mine.  My great-grandmother Florence Patterson née Elmer went out to India some time after 1911, recently widowed, leaving her baby son with her parents.  Presumably she went to find a husband and in 1920 she married Emile.  It didn't last long because a few years later she was back in Scotland using the name Patterson, and most of her family didn't know that she had ever remarried at all.
The Chinals were quite a numerous family but none of their descendants have any idea of what happened to Emile. 
Recently I came across a letter written to Florence in 1932 from the Gresham Publishing Co., Bombay.  It says 'We write to say that we have yesterday had a communication from Mr. E. Chinal in which his return address is given as c/o Postmaster, Bannu, N.W.F.P.'
I would think it impossible that any records would survive from that region but my question is - what would a European man in his 50's be doing in such a (with apologies) God-forsaken place?  He was not in the military, nor the Church, and as far as I know had no connection with the East India Company.
As I say, he is not a relation of mine but I am very curious about this.
Thanks for any comments
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: European in Bannu (North-West Frontier, Pakistan), 1930's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 June 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
"The Avesta and Vendidad mention Varəna, the old name of Bannu has one of the sixteen most beautiful and perfect lands created by Ahura Mazda. Bannu is also Called a mini Swizerland and mini England"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bannu

Maybe being a long standing resident of India, Emile has heard of this place and traveled there to visit and liked it
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)