Author Topic: Completed: Surplus from Belfast  (Read 9363 times)

Offline Degsy1946

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Completed: Surplus from Belfast
« on: Monday 22 June 15 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I am researching the Surplus family from Belfast, I am a novice with regard to Irish Genealogy. I have a Thomas Surplus married Maria Smyth, they had 6 children, 4 still alive according the 1911 Census. Of the 4 surviving kids ( all males) I am struggling to find what happened to James, born 1885 who married Margaret Richmond, they had 5 children but it is rumoured he left Ireland, and the family, possibly in the 1920's, can't find anything for him though. Also Richard born 1896, nothing on him, any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Kind regards,
Degsy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surplus from Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 15 13:04 BST (UK) »
Here's the family in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Saint_Anne_s_Ward_Belfast/Roden_Street/953827

The 6 children-
James (3 Apr.1885)
Thomas (18 Nov.1887)
Eleanor (c1892-9 Nov.1908)
Richard Charles (19 Apr.1894)
Maria (21 Jan.1897-28 Nov.1906)
William Wentworth Houston (19 Oct.1899)- born a few months after father died, listed as 'daughter' in 1901

In 1911 it's just Maria & the 2 youngest boys (now Presbyterian rather than Church of Ireland as in 1901)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Shankill/Tennent_Street/153237

Looks like Maria and sons Richard and William are buried together at Dundonald Cemetery (C1 336)-
Richard Surplus, 72 Devonshire St., age 38, died 5 Aug.1932 at 51 Lisburn Rd., buried 8 Aug.1932
William Surplus, 44 Queen Victoria Gdns, age 32, died 13 Apr.1933 at Royal Victoria Hospital, buried 15 Apr.1933
Maria Surplus, 44 Queen Victoria Gdns, age 77, died 9 Mar.1941 at 51 Lisburn Rd, buried 11 Mar.1941

From PRONI Will Extracts-
     Administration of the estate of Thomas Surplus late of 56 Sandymount-street Belfast Foreman who died 4 June 1899 granted at Belfast to Maria Surplus of 56 Sandymount-street Belfast the Widow. Effects £206
     Surplus Maria of 44 Queen Victoria Gardens Belfast widow died 9 March 1941 at 51 Lisburn Road Belfast Probate Belfast 19 June to Thomas Surplus civil servant. Effects £259 16s. 7d.
     Surplus William Wentworth Houston of 44 Queen Victoria Gardens Belfast upholsterer died 13 April 1933 at The Royal Victoria Hospital Belfast Administration Belfast 12 May to Euphemia Surplus the widow. Effects £179 15s. 2d.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 June 15 13:32 BST (UK) »
Belfast Newsletter, 6 June 1899: SURPLUS- June 4, at 56, Sandymount Street, Thomas Surplus. His remains will be removed for interment in Shankill Burying-ground, this (Tuesday) afternoon, at three o'clock. Friends will please accept this intimation. Maria Surplus

Belfast Newsletter, 30 Nov.1906: SURPLUS- November 28, at 35, M'Clure Street, Maria (May), the youngest daughter of the late Thomas Surplus. Her remains will be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, Shankill, this (Friday) afternoon, at halp-past two o'clock. Deeply regretted. Maria Surplus

Offline Degsy1946

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 June 15 15:26 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks very much, I did have the 1901 Census and the Will info but the burial information is brand new to me and I would not gave a clue where to look for this. Will reply again when I have had time to digest the extra info, once again really grateful for your time, Many thanks,
Degsy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 June 15 15:39 BST (UK) »
Here's James Surplus in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__Anne_s_Ward/Majorca_Street/182837

Son James born 9 Jan.1911
Daughter Maria May born 1 July 1913

Offline Degsy1946

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 June 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
Once again, thank you so much ,didn't have the actual birth dates for James and Maria May, so have now added these. My friend for whom I have been doing this research is the daughter of Maria May' s sister who is still alive. Maria May lived to get a telegram from the Queen and only died in late 1913.
There were two other sisters and a brother as well, but gave got these.
Really interested to see if anyone can locate anything about the father also James Surplus, he remains the mystery.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 June 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
Didn't come across the correct James Surplus when I looked earlier- any clue as to where he might have gone off to?

"Really interested to see if anyone can locate anything about the father..."
Do you mean Thomas Surplus? he'll probably be easier to trace.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 June 15 18:55 BST (UK) »
Have a look at migration records fee paying or credit purchases or special deals, but indexes free!
I just tried Surplus on
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records-in-travel-and-migration?lastname=surplus

3 Richard Surplus b 1920-1921 were passengers to to New York in 1944-45,
2 Richard Surplus b 1952- were passengers to canada one child 1953 to Quebec , perhaps the same or another in 1956 to Montreal

If you start searching the site above, try port of departure as Belfast. or Belfast and Liverpool, other Surplus are leaving
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Degsy1946

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 June 15 19:24 BST (UK) »
With regard to James ( b1885), apparently the "family story" is that he had a hat making business and "ran off with his secretary" allegedly to the U.S. But I can find no evidence for this emigration.
I did come across a PRONI Ref dated 22 Feb 1922 which was referring to a letter from James Surplus, of Belfast, who had lost his business due to import restrictions and was claiming compensation, this is believed to be roughly the time when he left Ireland but I don't know how to go about researching thus further.