Author Topic: Steam Sawyers in Bethnal Green mid 1800s  (Read 3700 times)

Offline barbara248

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Steam Sawyers in Bethnal Green mid 1800s
« on: Tuesday 23 June 15 00:08 BST (UK) »
I am trying to obtain more information on my ancestor Harry Catherall who was a sawyer (latterly Steam Sawyer) all his life.  He was born in Mitcham, Surrey in 1801and lived in various inner London addresses.  I have found references that he was operating a sawmill at 13 Club Row, Bethnal Green from at least 1861.  His son, Edward's, probate records list Harry as owner of Baltic Sawmill at Club Row.  His son, Harry James, born 1828 and John Alfred, born 1840 were both sawyers and a tax records lists Swan Street as the address for Catherall Sawmills in 1887 on John's records.  John's son, Harry George, was born in 1892 and was also a sawmill proprietor.  He had property listed in 1914 at 13 Cygnet Street, Bethnal Green (which is near Club Row so may be same plkace) as a sawmill.  I found a reference to what may have been a explosion at a Catherall mill (spelt Catterall) but cant confirm this and not sure where to go.  Obviously this is something I'd like to know more about and also the trade itself.  Thanks you.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sawyers in Bethnal Green mid 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 00:42 BST (UK) »
I found a reference to what may have been a explosion at a Catherall mill (spelt Catterall) but cant confirm this and not sure where to go.  Obviously this is something I'd like to know more about

London Standard (Monday, 31 March 1856)
TERRIFIC EXPLOSION – SEVERAL PERSONS INJURED, AND PROBABLE LOSS OF LIFE
Yesterday the inhabitants of Shoreditch, Bethnal-green and Mile-end were painfully excited, in consequence of a tremendous explosion taking place in the extensive range of premises belonging to Messrs. Catterall, the steam saw-mill proprietors, situate in Club-row, Bethnal-green, which has been attended with a great destruction of property, and serious, if not fatal, consequences to a great number of persons.
   From careful inquiries made, it appeared that the Messrs. Catterall had for some time carried on business as saw-mill proprietors, and the steam-mill and boiler-house extended from Club-row behind the houses in that thoroughfare, as well as to the rear of the dwellings in Slater-street and Bacon-street. The machinery had up to yesterday worked very smoothly. However, yesterday morning a noise resembling a clap of thunder was suddenly heard, and at the same time the ponderous engine, weighing some tons, was forced from its bearings horizontally and projected a distance of 75 feet, knocking down in its progress the back walls of several houses in the adjoining streets.
   The steam generated in the boiler entered the premises of Mr. Snoding, and knocked several children down, and severely scalded one, who was removed to the hospital, where he remains in a very precarious state. A little boy was rescued by Mr. Snoding from the first-floor window, but none of the children could be identified, owing to the rubbish and dust with which they were covered.
   A man named Knight was in the boiler-house writing a letter at the time of the explosion, and his mother was standing at his side, when she was blown completely under the boiler into the basement against the brick wall. Fortunately the poor creature, although terribly frightened, was not much hurt.
   From 20 to 30 other persons were also injured by the rush of steam from the boiler, and two or three had their heads laid open.
   The persons who were most severely injured were taken to the London and St. Bartholomew’s Hospitals.
   The daughter of a dairyman, named Trevallion, in Bacon-street, was, whilst partaking of her breakfast, knocked down by the sudden pressure of the steam, and was so severely scalded that she was obliged to be taken to the hospital.
   Four children in the same house were completely prostrated by the force of steam that entered the first floor, and they were also rescued by the neighbours.
   As to the origin of the misfortune, not the least information of a positive character could be obtained.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline barbara248

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Sawyers in Bethnal Green mid 1800s
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 15 06:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info and link Bootbox and Ruskie. My third Great Grandfather, Harry Catherall, is listed in the 1856 directory as a sawmill operator that operated from 13 Club Row, which was also listed as his home address in the 1861, 1871 censuses and in his probate records in 1876.  In the census records of 1871 the address reads "13 Club Row private house with sawing premises below".  One can only wonder at the hazards of living in inner London in those times particularly with industry and residences so close together.