Author Topic: Thomas Burrell 1850 - where did he go?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Burrell 1850 - where did he go?
« on: Tuesday 23 June 15 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am new to this web site so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong area!

I am looking for information on my paternal great grandfather - Thomas Burrell.
He was born on 14th September 1859 to Thomas Burrell and Hannah Burrell nee Lombard.
He married Emma Mills in 1881 and went on to have some 12 children including my Grandfather.
Unfortunately the trail ends there - my father tells me that his name was never spoken of in the family and he believed that the rumour was he upped and left Emma and the kids and went to the USA.
Dad never had the chance to find out the truth as his family (including Emma) were all killed  (apart from Dad and his father) when a V2 landed in their street in the East End in 1944.
Thomas appeared in the 1901 census with the family but not in the 1911 census - Emma is listed as married at this point. Emma remarried in 1913 - but cannot confirm whether this was because Thomas had died or that 7 years had elapsed since he left her (I've not checked, but believe that this period of time allowed her to get a divorce - I suppose I should really get her second marriage cert as that may point the way).
As their last child was born in 1905 it would seem that Thomas would have left between 1905 and 1911 - I have found 1 record of a Thomas Burrell (correct age) going to USA in 1905 - though this also suggests that Thomas Burrell was a US citizen (could you get that before leaving for US?) and a couple of others to New Zealand (1909) and Australia (1910) - but with no date of birth I am not sure. I can find no records of this Thomas Burrell in any of those countries listed so am stuck really - I know Dad would really like to know what happened to him - so any help anyone could give would be appreciated

Cheers

Kev
Burrell - Mainly London area
Wallace - North-East England
Starling - London, Cambridge & Suffolk
Park - London, Derbyshire & Lancashire

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Burrell 1850 - where did he go?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can I clarify one thing, was he born in 1850 or 1859? Also Where was he born?

UPDATE, yes 1859 and Whitechapel, London. Jut looked on Ancestry.

I have found a Thomas Burrell, born c1860 who died in 1934 in West Ham district plus a Thomas Burrell born 1859, died in 1936 in Luton. Maybe he did not go abroad.

Coombs
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 13:03 BST (UK) »
And a Thomas Burrell born c1860 death in 1917 in Wandsworth district. 3 likely deaths to consider.

I cannot find any Thomas Burrell's on the 1920 or 1930 or 19450 censuses born in England 1855-1865.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick responses all - I have seen the deaths, though have not followed up on these yet, as I was chasing the fact (or possible myth) that he went abroad first as I had access to records abroad and wanted to exhaust that before parting with cash for the death certs (obviously some miserly blood in me somewhere!)

Offline Soubeyran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin,

sorry for not being in touch recently, but I think I just found that Thomas died somewhere between 1911 & 1918: I've started getting my records in order (going backwards), & found my Granddad & Grandma's wedding certificate. It lists Thomas as "deceased", as far as I can see: the only other possible explanation is that my granddad thought of him as 'dead' for some reason.

Thought you'd want to know!

Graeme

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 20:15 BST (UK) »
Graeme
Good to hear from you - that seems to add to what I suspected. I had been given his daughter Pamela's wedding cert from 1918 (from another 2nd cousin of ours!) which actually listed her Brother William as father (William gave her away so I guess they either mistakenly put his name down as father because of that, or did not want Thomas' name on the certificate!).
Thomas's wife Emma remarried in 1913 to George Henry Arnold, so I assumed he was either dead or perhaps they had been separated for 7 years and could get divorced (though no divorce record to be found). As he disappeared from the records after the 1901 census, I am assuming he actually left the household between 1904'ish and 1911 (this is assuming the last child Luke Leonard born in 1905 is actually Tom's son!!).

Of course they may not have got divorced and Thomas may not have died before 1913! There are around 3 possible UK death records for Thomas Burrell that I will have to purchase some time to determine if any were him (all of them also mentioned in this thread).

Must admit I have not done a lot lately, too busy at work - I was concentrating on fleshing out the Ann Burrell line as it is unlikely I will be able to go back from her father Thomas (the Marine) - guess I would have to go across to Ireland and do a lot of searching to find his birth record and family (assuming those records actually exist and just have not been put online).

Cheers

Kev

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
Just an update on this for anyone who is interested....
Thomas' wife Emma is listed as married still in 1911 census - but then re-marries a George Henry Arnold in 1913 and the certificate lists her as widowed (not that that necessarily means anything!). I have now obtained copies of the death certificates for the 3 possibilities I previously identified...
1917 Wandsworth - unlikely - spouse listed as Caroline on Death Certificate - married 17 years in 1911 census
1936 Luton - unlikely - Death certificate states this Thomas was a Draper which is very different to the tobacco stripper/dock labourer jobs he had previously held.
1934 West Ham - Possible - died 02/09/1934 aged 74 - so age would be correct as 'my' Thomas Burrell would have been 75 on 12th September 1934. Occupation given as retired Corporation night watchman - 'My' Thomas was a Dock Labourer in 1901 census - but walking out on a wife and 12 kids may have meant a change of occupation as well! - Need to find the Son W J Burrell who was present at this death and see where it leads to. Failing that I have to broaden my horizons and look further afield in England - since emigration records are currently not really proving anything ???

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 20:52 BST (UK) »
An idea to consider
Could Thomas Burrell be returning to USA.
Transport had improved to Steamer in the 1900's

Offline Kevin Burrell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 June 17 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Healyjfch - there are a few records of a Thomas or T Burrell leaving for USA, Canada and Australia during the period in question, but no further records for Thomas Burrell with Birth 1859/60 in those countries - I do check back every so often to see if any new records have appeared, but to date it is a mystery still