Author Topic: Children of Adam Robson and Mary Winifred Palmer  (Read 1775 times)

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Children of Adam Robson and Mary Winifred Palmer
« on: Tuesday 23 June 15 12:59 BST (UK) »
I have been researching the above Adam (Auld Ned) who was born in Hawick in 1866 and died in Jedburgh in 1929.    The 1911 census states that he has been married for 4 years where in fact he did not marry Mary until 1914.   Recent family letters indicate that he and Mary had a large family.   I can find 5, Annie 1909, Adam 1910, Catherine Mary 1912, William 1914 and Marjory 1923.   There are 4 more mentioned in the letters that I just cannot find:  Maureen, Helen, Jock (John?) and Robert.    Adam got about quite a bit - Hawick, Jedburgh, Glasgow with quite a range of jobs.   He also had other children prior to being with Mary.     Quite a philanderer I think.   I may have put this out on another query and if so I apologise.   Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Adam Robson and Mary Winifred Palmer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 July 15 13:32 BST (UK) »
from your info it would suggest that Mary was Adam's second wife - worth checking for a First by using the elder children's birth certificates or Adam or Mary lived as Common Law husband & Wife until the First World War broke out - Where getting Married would project the Family if anything happening to Adam

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Children of Adam Robson and Mary Winifred Palmer
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 July 15 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Terianne

further investigation reveals Adams wives/partners and children:

Marjory Ure Hunter(1866-1898) married 14 Aug 1890,Galashiels.    No children found
Elspeth Millar (1865-1903).   Not married.   children by Adam:   Janet 1899, Margaret 1900, James 1902.   All ack by both parents on BCs all Robsons.
Isabella MacKintosh (?-?)   Not Married.    Cjild Adam Robson (1904-1905)
Mary Winifred Palmer (1855-1929)    Married 1914 children as initial post