Author Topic: Wanting to find George Henry Prentice  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Heather Knight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Wanting to find George Henry Prentice
« on: Tuesday 23 June 15 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
 I am looking to find any information on George Henry Prentice living at 175 Harringay Road Tottenham in Sept 1942, he was listed as a Bus Driver on the birth certificate of his son (*) however I have been informed that he was a War Correspondent for the Daily Mail but this had to remain a secret due to the war. George Henry Prentice's wife was Doris Peers born 1913 in Stockton on Tees a Nurse that moved to London during the war years but I am unable to find a marriage certificate to support  this. After the war years  George Henry Prentice I am told moved to Rayleigh in Essex to own a garage & run a coach company.

Any help or information would be most welcome as I am hitting a brick wall at the moment

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting to find George Henry Prentice
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,

I've taken the son's name out as it is Rootschat policy to not post details of living (or possibly living) persons.

Especially given the time period, it is possible that they were never married and that whoever registered the child just bluffed it out.

Some things to consider:
Who was the informant on the birth certificate?
If you have access to it, how is he listed on the marriage certificate of his son? (occupation etc).
Did Doris continue to use the name Prentice? Did she (re)marry? Do you know when and where she died?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heather Knight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
George Henry Prentice registered the birth of his son, he put down Bus Driver as his occupation, then he put Doris Prentice nee Peers as the sons mother. Doris Peers had a Green Travel ID card issued from the Ministry of Labour & National Service Stockton & Thornaby area in the name of Doris Prentice so I would assume that she had to have been married to George as they would check her status when issuing a official document during the war? Doris moved back up to the North East after the war to continue nursing convalescing German POWs  leaving George in Tottenham London. There were a few George Henry Prentice's in London during the war years & I am trying to find out after Doris left him if he remarried & had anymore family.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 01:08 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage in 1932 of George H Prentice & Doris Rowntree in Edmonton district, the same district as the later birth.

They appear to be at 10 Edith Road Tottenham in 1932 and other addresses in the Tottenham/Haringey/Enfield area after that.

George Henry & Doris Prentice are in the 1939 Enfield Electoral Register

Unfortunately the registers weren't compiled during the war.

Now if this is your George Henry but not your Doris, then he may not have been free to marry your Doris.

If this is your George & Doris, then she may have been married before.

Or there's a birth for Doris Rowntree in Stockton in 1913.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Heather Knight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have looked in to the marriage of Doris Rowntree & this is another person altogether i have checked all the records & keep hitting a brick wall. George Henry Prentice was enlisted in the Army at some stage during the war & while Doris worked as a nurse their son went to St Barnabas Nursery. When on leave from the Army George Henry Prentice used to go to the Dog track at White Hart Lane Tottenham. If anybody is in Kew that can look up records Doris Prentice Green Travel ID Card A244815 is registered with details BTC1 81 1.

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 June 15 14:40 BST (UK) »
The 1932 Prentice/Rowntree marriage (can't find another Prentice/Rowntree marriage in the period) seems to have had 3 children, 1934, 1937 & 1944.  If the father of the 1942 Prentice/Peers birth was George Henry he would not have been married to Doris Peers.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 June 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
There are 2 trees on A..try which show the Rowntree/Prentice marriage. They both have Doris Rowntree born 1903 Stockton-on-tees and dying 1979 Epsom Surrey.  They have George Henry Prentice born 1906 Tottenham and dying 1986 Epsom.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 June 15 15:26 BST (UK) »
Where did Doris Peers son grow up.  Was he with Doris or George Henry or elsewhere?

Offline Heather Knight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 June 15 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
Doris Peers was born in 1913 Doris Rowntree was born in 1903 they are 10 years apart.
Doris Peers moved back to Stockton on Tees with the son just after the war