Author Topic: Crowe / Neely in Tipperary or Limerick  (Read 2774 times)

Offline nkn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish Ancestors: Ireland to Yonkers, NY
    • View Profile
Crowe / Neely in Tipperary or Limerick
« on: Thursday 25 June 15 21:11 BST (UK) »
According to the FamilySearch site, the following family lived in the Limerick/Tipperary area.

Parents:  James Neely (b.1827-1847, depending on record) and Margaret Crowe (b.abt 1847).

Their children were all born in Ireland, 1865+/- to 1875 +/-.
Children:  Mary, John, Johanna, James, Michael and Patrick.

John and James were born/christened in Emly while Johanna was in Grean.  The others were either generic Ireland or generic Tipperary.

First question:  would the marriage record, if one exists for James and Margaret, include the names of their parents?  I already have a James Neely, b.1845 in the HolyCross area of Tipperary. His parents were Richard Neely and Johanna Donovan.  I have the birth records for that entire famiiy. I'd love to be able to connect these two families together.    FamilySearch does not appear to have a marriage record for James and Margaret.

Their US records indicate an immigration date of 1883-1890 and in 1892, the entire family is in Watervliet, NY which is across the river from Troy, NY.   Troy history indicates a known link to EMLY.

Second Question:  I'd like to know more about any Nealy or Crowe families that lived in the Grean/Emly general area.   Particularly, if there was known immigration to New York in the late 1800s.  FamilySearch indicated a possible five family groups for a Margaret Crowe, b.abt 1847.

Thanks.
NKN
Neely, Dalton, Gallagher, Goravin, Walsh, Coughlin, Austin, Reid, Shanahan, Hoag, McGarrell, Hannigan, O'Brien, Donovan, and Muldowny.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Crowe / Neely in Tipperary or Limerick
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 June 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
FYI
I can see online on a paid site

Baptism in Pallasgreen/Templebredon, C. Limerick
1860 Mary bap Nov 15 1860 Sponsors Mathew ARCHER & Mgt BOURKE
1863 Margaret bap Sep 20 1863 Sponsors Tom ARCHER & My CROWE
1865 John bap Apr 12 1865 Sponsors Matthew ARCHER & Mary CONNEELY
1870 James bap Dec 19 1869 Sponsors Bridget CROWE & Elizabeth McCORMACK
1873 Patrick bap Sep 21 1873 Sponsors Con COLLINS & Margaret CROWE
1875 Michael bap Sep 24 1875  Sponsors Ca LEAMY & NL
(I don't see Joanna)

These are transcriptions and all bar one show the parents as
(F) James NEELY occ. Weaver
(M) Margaret CROWE exception being Mary in 1860 where surname was CROKER

Interestingly there is a marriage in the same parish on Jan 11 1860
Margaret CROKE and James KENNEDY which may be totally unrelated but I'd reserve judgement until I saw the originals as the witnesses were Matthew ARCHER and Catherine RYAN
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline nkn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish Ancestors: Ireland to Yonkers, NY
    • View Profile
Re: Crowe / Neely in Tipperary or Limerick
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 June 15 22:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks, that is great info.   Which paid site did you use?

My Mary was not included in the FamilySearch site.  I discovered her when I was searching newspapers in Troy, NY.   Her obit didn't list her parents but it listed her three brothers as William, Michael and Patrick.  My age reference was from the US census reports which are always iffy.

Johanna was my one "maybe".   FamilySearch included her as belonging to James and Margaret.  But North Tipperary Genealogy Centre included a 1869 death certificate for a Johanna Neely in their packet of info and indicated her father was James, in Cormackstown, but didn't indicate the mother.     But, that Johanna died at the age of 10.   So it is possible, that there are two Johanna daughters and one or more James Neelys of the same age.

Interesting.

NKN
Neely, Dalton, Gallagher, Goravin, Walsh, Coughlin, Austin, Reid, Shanahan, Hoag, McGarrell, Hannigan, O'Brien, Donovan, and Muldowny.