Author Topic: British Red Cross certificate numbers  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Tinderry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British Red Cross certificate numbers
« on: Sunday 28 June 15 02:44 BST (UK) »
I gather that the BRC certificate numbers were issued sequentially as volunteers 'signed up'.  Is there a guide to when these were issued?  If not, would members who have corroborating evidence be able to help me narrow down the date of issue for certificate number 8383 please?   I believe she was a nursing sister.
TIA  :)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: British Red Cross certificate numbers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 June 15 07:48 BST (UK) »
All I can offer is that 2625 was issued in late 1914.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Tinderry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 June 15 12:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Imber, that places mine after 1914 so far.  Any other certificate numbers & dates out there?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 June 15 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat...this might prove useful:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/full-list-of-united-kingdom-records/armed-forces-and-conflict/british-red-cross-register-of-overseas-volunteers-1914-1918

If you find anything and don't have a subscription...someone here will look it up for you.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Tinderry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 June 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Treetotal,
I have FindMyPast access & am trying to establish the date of one of the records from that set.
Cheers :)

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 July 15 18:14 BST (UK) »
I did the original database for FindMyPast so can manipulate the data to a degree from my own records.  I would guess that your nurse is Emily Kate Spencer, and if so then it's just a matter of waiting for her to appear on the BRCS online records.  However, a quick check through shows that certificate number 8375 (the closest I can find at present), Francis Burch, went overseas on or shortly after 11 March 1916.

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period

Offline Tinderry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 15 00:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Sue :)

Offline penstemon5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 July 15 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi. I am trying to make sense of certificate numbers for George Francis Hardwick. His record on the Red Cross website gives his number as  2535 and then the number has an asterix and the asterix refers to number 3444B/AG(?)10.
Would he have had 2 numbers if he joined, left and then joined again?
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Penstemon 5

Offline Scarletwoman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 July 15 18:49 BST (UK) »
Where are you seeing the number with the asterisk?  His BRCS record (link below) just gives one number, 2535, as does the British Red Cross Register of Overseas Volunteers.

http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/Who-we-are/History-and-origin/First-World-War/Card?sname=hardwick&page=3&id=96431&forwards=true

The other number you quote almost sounds like a correspondence reference or a medal index card reference.  It is possible to have two numbers indicating two separate periods of overseas service with different contracts, but it looks to me as though George Hardwick only had one number.

Sue
Scarletfinders - Researching British Military Nurses from 1880, mainly Great War period