Author Topic: Industrial school, Dublin  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Glinny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Industrial school, Dublin
« on: Sunday 28 June 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi. Does anyone have any idea how to find out if a member of my family was in an industrial school.

My great grandfather, James Donegan was jailed for non payment of industrial school fees in 1924. He had 1 son, also called James, who I believe was born in 1912- making him around 12 years old whe his father was jailed in  Mountjoy.

Any help with a names of industrial schools would also be appreciated.
County Westmeath: O'Neill, Deane, Maher, Jessop

Dublin: Donegan, Brennan,

Ireland & Scotland: Keenan

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Industrial school, Dublin
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 June 15 22:55 BST (UK) »

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 June 15 23:10 BST (UK) »
You might find this interesting regarding the payment of fees for children detained in an Industrial School
https://goldenbridgeinmate39.wordpress.com/2013/05/13/irish-reformatory-and-industrial-school-capitation-grants/

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
My God Sinann that makes very sad reading, little did we know.

Offline Glinny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 15 23:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info and links. You are right dathai, it is very sad reading.

I'm struggling to find any kind of register/documents of James at an industrial school, and still can't make out why James senior was jailed for non payment, as everything I've read so far makes out the costs of keeping a child in an industrial school was met by the county.

Any one with any idea of how to find records of the school?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 July 15 00:38 BST (UK) »
It could have been all or any one of the three children that were sent to an Industrial School, but as you don't know and don't know which school it may not be possible to find out.
dathai's advice about contacting the Christian Brothers is worth a try as the official method doesn't look promising http://www.education.ie/en/The-Department/FOI/Applications-by-Former-Residents-of-Industrial-Schools/FAQs.html

In the link above it says
"Local authorities were obliged under the 1908 Children Act to pay for children who were sent in to the Reformatories and Industrial Schools. They did not have to pay for children who were admitted on the application of their parents or guardians or for children whose parents were unable to look after them. They also did not pay for children, whose parents were in prison. The local authorities also paid for children under the age of six."

As James was clearly expected to pay it would appear unable to look after them or parent in prison and not child sent there by the courts is the most likely reason.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 July 15 10:18 BST (UK) »
My greatgrandfather was also taken to court mid 1901 to 1911 and ordered to pay for his children in the industrial schools his initial case was concerning his son in Artane but in the column on the petty sessions (found for me by Tara ) he was to pay for the upkeep of his children in industrial schools.
I am prepared to give my greatgrandfather the benefit of doubt due to his circumstances at the time,his wife in an institution,himself away from home for two days at a time probably exhausted when he returned and 4 children running riot while he was away and possibly when he was trying to have a sleep when he returned, the onset of cancer from which he died in 1908 and from 1901 to 1902 facing repossession orders for his premises which he was ordered to give up circa 1903 (also found for me by Tara) all in all a very stressfull time for him.
I do not know if you will be bound by the 100 hundred year rule in some cases as your case is 1924 but as they say nothing ventured nothing gained.
You should write to the Christian Brothers giving details of his addresses ,parents and siblings and fathers court case in my case i had a very detailed reply within 8 days and also got a less detailed reply from Sisters of Good Shepherd re his sister in Irishtown,Wexford quoting the F O I act if i wanted further info which i tried for but was refused(what gives them the right to with hold this info ?)
Any way give it a try.

Dathai.

Offline Glinny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 July 15 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks dathai. You've been very helpful. I will try the Christian brothers immediately.