Author Topic: seeking someone with knowledge of Brighton  (Read 16084 times)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: seeking someone with knowledge of Brighton
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 03:56 BST (UK) »
I have done research around Brighthelmstone  and dont recognise the two particular houses BUT there are two avenues.....one send a copy to the Sussex Archives cos they reallllllllly knowledgable folk in there............A N D........  find old copies of Country Life like I do and flick through and usually the old estate houses pop up for sale.........

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 08:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Fastfusion. What a good idea about Sussex Archives! Will contact them. I have looked on Right move and some other estate agents Brighton area, perhaps I will widen the search. Assuming houses are still there.

I did find my gt x3 grandfather home in Billingshurst still standing since late 1700,s. It's a Grade 11 listed building worth a fortune. Sadly not in family , he left it in 1820 to go to USA.

Copies of Country Life usually in dentist and doctors, have some visits coming soon, will look.

Jane
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 23:35 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I showed OH and she said yes without any hesitation, Hassocks rd/Wickham hill. That's where I looked yesterday but you can't see some clearly because of the hedges and trees.

Plus, since she travelled along there to school several have been demolished and replaced with more modern houses.

She could be wrong though, although she won't admit it.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Thanks and thanks to OH. We are talking about the first house? I have sorted couple more photos will post later today. I think we on right track family from Hurst. Now comes hard bit,find the family

Does Hurstpierpoint have or did it have a windmill? Will read up on town today.

Was wondering if I posted pic of people maybe someone would recognize them? What do you think, worth a try? If I do shall I start new thread?

Jane

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 09:32 BST (UK) »
Was wondering if I posted pic of people maybe someone would recognize them?

I would think you'd be extremely lucky if that happened.  ;)

The best way would be to try and identify the house they lived at and then trace the people through the electoral registers for the years you think the photos were taken. You have to be a little bit careful of posting pictures of people, as they are not your family, and remember once posted they will appear on the internet to be seen by anyone. There are also possibly copyright issues, I believe that even though you own the photographs you may not own the copyright, that remains with the photographer for a certain number of years - that would need checking.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 12:24 BST (UK) »
Was wondering if I posted pic of people maybe someone would recognize them?

I would think you'd be extremely lucky if that happened.  ;)

The best way would be to try and identify the house they lived at and then trace the people through the electoral registers for the years you think the photos were taken. You have to be a little bit careful of posting pictures of people, as they are not your family, and remember once posted they will appear on the internet to be seen by anyone. There are also possibly copyright issues, I believe that even though you own the photographs you may not own the copyright, that remains with the photographer for a certain number of years - that would need checking.

Thanks Jan.  Good points.  Yes I need to find the  house and who was living there in 1929.  I looked at the Album again and saw  something I missed.  There is some writing in pencil which I only noticed when light shone on page.  It says "Violeth and Family October, 1929" so a little more to go on if i find occupants of house.

The owner of the album certainly loved her donkeys as they are the only pictures that have names under them!!!

Jane

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane, your last comment reminds me of when I was really quite young and a family group had gone for a picnic in the New Forest.  Think we must have had a new camera and took lots of photos.

Only realised later that the photo on which I'd written on the back - Uncle x, Nanny, Grandad, cousin y etc etc - when turned over was a picture of a group of New Forest ponies!

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane, your last comment reminds me of when I was really quite young and a family group had gone for a picnic in the New Forest.  Think we must have had a new camera and took lots of photos.

Only realised later that the photo on which I'd written on the back - Uncle x, Nanny, Grandad, cousin y etc etc - when turned over was a picture of a group of New Forest ponies!

Pheno

That's brilliant Pheno. Imagine if that one photo got into the hands of someone like me. Made me smile at the thought ;D

Not doing too well with this search. I wish this family had put names to photos. All I know is they are Sussex. One was incredibly easy for me-Arundel Castle. I am all googled out. I think as far as I can see they lived in Hurstpierpoint, as Jan said earlier finding the house should be first priority. If only it were that simple. However I am enjoying it all as my own  research has dried up.

Jane

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
Jack and Jill windmills at Clayton are not far from Hurstpierpoint.