Author Topic: Royal Irish Constabulary  (Read 3650 times)

Offline pamelarhonda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Irish Constabulary
« on: Tuesday 30 June 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, My Great Great Grandfather Christopher Johnston I believe enlisted in the RIC in 1828 in Fermanagh Ireland.  I am interested to find out more about him and would be interested to know are there any records or person I can contact to get his history/service in the RIC.  Any assistance would be appreciated

Offline landej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for ancestors since 1966
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Irish Constabulary
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 23:13 BST (UK) »
Landers (Laois, Dublin, Mayo, Chicago, NZ......), McDowell (NI), Bass (Dublin), Boxall (Sussex), Marchant (London)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 08:20 BST (UK) »
The PSNI museum in Belfast also has a copy of the RIC service records and will send you a copy (for a fee). See:

http://www.psni.police.uk/index/about-us/police_museum/museum_genealogy.htm
Elwyn

Offline pamelarhonda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Royal Irish Constabulary
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 April 16 00:28 BST (UK) »
Trying to find out how I can find out Service Number and other information of my Gt Gt Grandfather CHRISTOPHER JOHNSTON who joined the RIC in 1828 aged 21 years and native of Fermanagh. Any help would be appreciated.  A bit hard when you reside in Australia. Thank you

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 April 16 07:07 BST (UK) »
The Royal Irish Constabulary existed from 1816 to 1922.  The National Archives hold service records for all Officers and Men.  This includes details such as name, age, height, religion, native county, native county of wife, date of appointment, date of retirement and counties in which he served, etc.  “The Royal Irish Constabulary: a Complete Alphabetical List of Officers and Men 1816-1822” by Jim Herlihy, gives each man’s Service Number.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the book, but maybe some kind RootsChator has, and can help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 April 16 09:28 BST (UK) »
You already asked in 2015 and were given information-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=724410
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 April 16 21:24 BST (UK) »
I have merged the two topic so all the information is kept together. I have also moved the query to the Ireland board to see if anyone there has anything to add.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 May 16 20:04 BST (UK) »
There is quite a friendly Facebook group for descendants of RIC men and those interested in the force. Strictly a non-political group. I found it of great help getting info on my ggg grandfather.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline landej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for ancestors since 1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 March 17 20:47 GMT (UK) »
And of course the records from the National Archives at Kew are now searchable online at FindMyPast.co.uk. I found lots of references there including some names that weren't in the Index of names contained in the large book they keep behind the desk.
So much coming online now its hard to keep up!
Landers (Laois, Dublin, Mayo, Chicago, NZ......), McDowell (NI), Bass (Dublin), Boxall (Sussex), Marchant (London)